Hard Starting 6hp Evinrude

Nucknoilerfan

Seaman
I own a beautiful little 1992 6hp Evinrude with very little hour on it. It has never failed me yet, until now. The motor still runs perfectly but starting is another issue. If I use starting fluid the motor fires easily and runs flawlessly at idle and throughout the limited powerband but if I shut it down and need to restart the motor I'm back to using the starting fluid again. The motor has new plugs and fresh fuel in it and I always run the fuel out of the carb between uses. Quite frustrating as I'm quite used to relying on this motor.

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Hard Starting 6hp Evinrude

Ah Chilliwack, the band from back in the day. Starting fluid, a no no, oil gas mix is fine. It's a carb issue, it sounds like it needs to be removed, soaked, cleaned and a new kit put in (not necessary but I always put one in for they are cheap).

reelfishin

Captain

Is the choke working? Try choking it by hand with the carb intake screen off. If it starts fine and idles ok when started on ether it might be something as simple as a choke rod issue?
Does an extra pump on the primer bulb help?

My 1986 6hp won't start unless I give it one good extra shot of fuel by squashing the primer bulb even once it's filled.
It only needs that when it's cold. It's been that way since new. It's just a matter of knowing what works to start that motor.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

True choke first, I usually make the assumption that most people know if the choke is in tact or not, second a dirty carb will make a choke inoperable.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Does an extra pump on the primer bulb help
This one has a strangler flap type of choke , not a primer pump as fitted for a while to earlier models.
Make sure that when the knob is pulled the flap closes fully.

May also be worth checking the idle mixture adjustment.

Try a bit more throttle, ignoring any marks.

If it runs well and idles normally carb cleaning is unlikely to be required

Nucknoilerfan

Seaman

thanks for the replies. The part that puzzles me is when it's running, it runs great. But even when warm it still doesn't want to fire without the starting fluid. I wouldn't think that choking a warm motor is usually necessary but I'll make sure that the choke is fully functional on my next attempt.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

A warm motor shouldn't require a choke or starting fluid, mine don't. That's why I suggested it was a carb cleaning/kit replacement issue rather than a choke problem.

Nucknoilerfan

Seaman

Thanks again, I'll pull the carb and give it a good cleaning.

A couple more questions though.

Do most people use some sort of fuel additive on their 2 cycle engines to keep the fuel from gumming up their carb? And if so any suggestions on which one to buy. I hear the Seafoam is a good product but I don't think it's available in Canada.

I usually run the fuel out of my carb between uses if the motor isn't going to run for more that a few days. Is there some sort of guideline regarding how long fuel can be left in the float bowl before it starts to cause problems? I disconnect my fuel hose at the motor when running out the fuel system, should I disconnect the hose at the tank instead so that the hose runs clean as well?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Seafoam is most certainly available in Canada, bought a can a week ago, try UAP/NAPA. Fuel doesn't go bad they say for 60 days and even then it takes longer to turn into varnish. After that add sta-bil to your tank and run the motor to get it into the carb if you plan on storing it for a longer period without use.

Marvxyz2

Seaman Apprentice

I don't think it is a ggod idea to run fuel out of carb. When not in use. Itn does not allow fuel and lub mix to get to your cylinders quickly, when you are trying to start it.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

I don't think it is a ggod idea to run fuel out of carb. When not in use. Itn does not allow fuel and lub mix to get to your cylinders quickly, when you are trying to start it.

That's what the primer bulb is for.....to fill the carb bowl back up. I've never seen any damage occur on a single cylinder engine by running out the gas.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

I was speaking to a rental shop full of single cylinder engines , mind you not outboard but float carb honda's, they run them dry after each use as they said they had nothing but problems leaving gas in them, food for thought.