'84 Evinrude 25hp stalls out under throttle.

bigolesucker

Cadet
Hello. I have a 2 stroke, 25hp Evinrude outboard. Hadnt run it for a couple years. Got it going but it'll only stay running at about half choke. Even at half choke, it dies when you give more than about 1/3 throttle. Dies altogether at no choke. At this point, I am at a level slightly above retarded when it comes to outboards. Can anyone help?

markntexas81

Cadet
Re: '84 Evinrude 25hp stalls out under throttle.

Sounds like the carb is dirty. I have an '84 35hp evinrude and it does the same thing if i dont run it for a while. I had to take it apart and clean it out. Try that, if thats not it, good luck.

jeremyaab

Cadet

I agree, sounds like carb is varnished, might look to fuel pump too, rebuild kit is pretty cheap.

Willyclay

Captain

Welcome to the iboats.com forum. The experts here can help you solve any problem with a boat, motor and trailer. While I am not an expert, I agree with the previous posters that it sure sounds like fuel starvation. Just work through the list of possibilities. Clogged main jet, bad fuel pump, loose/missing hose clamps allowing air to be sucked-in, bad anti-siphon valve in the fuel hose, closed/damaged fuel tank vent are the usual suspects. Good luck!

bigolesucker

Cadet

Thanks for the prompt replies. I will check the fuel input and tear into the carburetor. Should I go ahead and get a kit to rebuild it or just clean it? Honestly, I need a parts diagram to properly identify stuff. I wasnt kidding about the semi-retarded thing.
Thanks

Willyclay

Captain

BRP currently maintains diagrams and part lists for OMC models back through 1968 models eventhough some of the parts may be NLA. Try the link below. While the carb is fairly simple on that motor, you might want to invest in a service manual to minimize screwups. The factory manuals are preferred and reprints can be obtained at kencook.com. I would recommend you get the rebuild kit for the carb if you plan to remove and clean it. Try to find a kit, OEM or aftermarket, that includes a new float. That's your best shot at only doing this once in the foreseeable future with proper care and feeding of your motor. FYI, I have a bud with a 1987 Johnson 25 that was acting like yours and the problem was caused by a missing fuel line clamp. Good luck!

http://epc.brp.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/default.aspx?brands=ej&lang=E&brands=ej&lang=E

markntexas81

Cadet

Just remember how u took it off, and put it back the same way. I just bought some carb cleaner and sprayed the heck out of it and cleaned it with an old tooth brush. You might want to get some thin wire and run it through various tiny holes to push any gunk out. U may have to take some various parts off around the carb like the fuel shutoff and the starter. I think the starter u can just loosen and move alittle out of the way. Hope i helped.

bigolesucker

Cadet

Thanks for the link. I'm going to check all the clamps tonight. I remember a little slop in the connection at the motor from the tank hose, come to think of it. I'll pick up a new connector today.

bigolesucker

Cadet

Do you guys know where I can find the dang motor model number? I have been all over the thing but cant find it.

jasper60103

Commander

It should be on the transom clamp, port side. Else, look for a silver disk on the power head. The model number is engraved on it. You may can see it in this pic. Just left of the fuel filter.

SDC12349.jpg

bigolesucker

Cadet

Okay, so I took out the carb and cleaned it. It was pretty funky but not as bad as I thought it would be. Had to take the starter out to get to it which involved taking the solenoid out too of course. Forgot to unhook the battery....you can imagine what happened. I checked the fuel filter and checked for loose clamps. I stuck it in the lake and it runs better but still sputters and stalls a bit. Have I missed something?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Still stalls and sputters under load or at idle? Carb is either dirty still, float could be set wrong or it's not getting enough fuel, could be a line restiction or pump problem. Did you just clean the carb or replace the internals with a kit?

bigolesucker

Cadet

Thanks for your reply. I only cleaned it. Used dang near the whole can on it. Im pretty sure its clean now but I didnt focus on that little needle like Im guessing i should have. Shall I look again at the fuel line? I did notice that the line leaving the filter is a little wet with gas. The zip strip clamp there is still intact but i can get some movement when I wiggle it. Maybe I should take it off and replace it with a new piece of hose and re-clamp it.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

A small gas leak won't cause it to run the way it is, fix the leak as it's a fire hazard. Stalls under load or idle? May still be dirty and require a kit.

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class

You may have a clean carburetor on the outside but I would suspect your still have an internal clog in one or more areas. You have a high speed jet, an intermediate speed jet and an idle valve. These three need to be removed (unscrewed) and the orifices that they came out of need to be thoroughly clean. The fixed and intermediate speed jets are not adjustable so you just put them back in tight. The idle valve is screwed in lightly until it just touches and then unscrewed 1.5 to 1.75 turns.

Also. there are 2 or 3 little holes in the carburetor throat right where the throttle plate is located when it is closed. Make sure they are not clogged. These holes control the fuel flow at idle. If they are clogged the motor will die or not idle very well.

markntexas81

Cadet

If its sputtering, could be the spark plugs wires. What do you think guys?

bigolesucker

Cadet

Thanks a lot for all the replies. I took the carb out again (this time it only took me about 15 minutes), dissasembled it and soaked it for about 40 minutes. Farm and Fleet had a neat product that was a gallon can with a basket in it. I put it back together using new parts from a kit that cost me $20 online...float, needle, gaskets, etc. I also went ahead and put in a couple new spark plugs. Put some SeaFoam in the tank as well. It was 8oclock and raining but I just had to know. I hauled it down to the local launch about 5 minutes away and fired her up. She cleared up after a minute or so and purrs like a kitten now. Throttles right up without hesitation. Im glad I found this website and this wealth of outboard knowledge. Hey, now I can say I've rebuilt a carburetor!
Thanks again for all your help!
Jeff

bktheking

Vice Admiral

I've had to clean carbs 3 times to get them perfect, sometimes they can be stubborn, glad you reported back that it worked out, so many don't and leave people hanging!