What Happens when Starter Engaged while Running

Ppopps

Seaman
I was out on the weekend and took my mother out for one last boat ride before putting my 1996 V4 Evinrude 115 away for the winter, ran like a top!

On the boat ramp I took the cover off and was fogging the engine with it running at idle, in the water of course. I ask my mother to kill the engine at the right time and actually heard it race and couldn't figure out what was going on until I realized she was running the starter, turning the key the wrong way! I quickly ran to the front and killed the engine. I never heard a clunk or anything like a broken tooth or gears mashing or anything, just engine running up to maybe 3500 RPMs at idle or so for about 4 seconds....

I'm wondering, no clutch on these starters? Should it be ok? I'm not too worried, an honest mistake....I put the boat away for the winter right after so won't really know until spring but thought I'd ask for thoughts and comments.

Cheers all....enjoy the last few outings if you're up north like me!

-Popps

McGvr

Seaman Apprentice
Re: What Happens when Starter Engaged while Running

Pops,
The biggest concern is over spinning the starter. this will cause the Armature to come apart. The fact that the motor was at idle and it was only for a few seconds, the risk for that is very low. Simple test is to try the starter, if it spins NO Problem.(When the armature blows, you don't have to guess, there is no question it's bad).

Anyway I'm pretty sure your OK.

Mcgvr

Elbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bet on a horse in the 5th race.Will it win?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

I bet on a horse in the 5th race.Will it win?

Yes, my crystal ball tells me you will. Chances are the starter is just fine, how many people do you hear in a parking lot grinding the starter when they don't realize it's running, usually never an issue.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Spin her over and see.

Ppopps

Seaman

Thanks guys.....the boat is tucked away nice and tidy (warm) for winter now so I won't know until spring.....

Oh the suspense!!!!

-Popps

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Did you not have it running to winterize it?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

I don't think you hurt anything. Look at the free running RPM test in the service manual, think you can blow an armature up? I doubt if a starter can bring an engine up to 3500 RPM from idle.