Advice on 57 evinrude sportwin mod 10014 10hp starter

ROCKET UT

Seaman Apprentice
I referbed my 1957 Evinrude 10hp mod 10014 serial number 09550 trolling motor new wires plugs impeller oil ect.
Cleaned the heck out of it put it back together and now the pull rope will not engage the fly wheel.
I took it apart oiled, the greased the metal springs still will not engage.
Do I need to put on new parts or just keep working with them?
Where would I find this stuff it pretty old.http://picasaweb.google.com/tractorcal/SPORTWIN#

Last edited:

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Advice on 57 evinrude sportwin 10014 9.5 starter

Re: Advice on 57 evinrude sportwin 10014 9.5 starter

What is the model number of your engine? They did'nt make a 9.5 in 57.

ROCKET UT

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Advice on 57 evinrude sportwin mod 10014 10hp starter

Sorry its a 10hp mod 10014 serial number 09550

lindy46

Captain

Did you put that little gear catch ring back - it goes on top of the flywheel. I did that once. Put the flywheel back on and forgot that catch ring. Couldn't figure out why the rope start wouldn't engage:rolleyes:

ROCKET UT

Seaman Apprentice

Took the spring off cleaned the inside od the ring that holds the ring took off the plastic catch oiled all parts put back together first pull engaged the fly wheel but after the first pull no engagement.
The spring is a little tight and will move with some pressure by hand when I have the assy off.
I am thinking it should move real easy with just the friction of the spinning from pulling the rope.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Took the spring off cleaned the inside od the ring that holds the ring took off the plastic catch oiled all parts put back together first pull engaged the fly wheel but after the first pull no engagement.
The spring is a little tight and will move with some pressure by hand when I have the assy off.
I am thinking it should move real easy with just the friction of the spinning from pulling the rope.

It is not that complicated. The plastic pawl must be free to pivot back and forth without stickiness. There are two links that connect the pawl to the friction spring. The friction spring rides in the groove. When you pull the rope, the friction spring "grabs" onto the groove, pulling on the link, which rocks the pawl outward.

So....the pawl is sticking OR
It has the wrong or homemade links OR
The friction spring is bent Or
There is a problem with the groove in the spindle that the friction spring rides in. Maybe you lubricated it TOO well. Key word is "friction".

I might add that thre are two different pawls (size). Got the right one?