1979 Evinrude 9.9 carb adjusting

79evinjohn

Recruit
Hi, I have a 1979 9.9 evinrude. I got it a few days ago and I rebuilt the carb. It hasnt been started in a couple years and it started right up. It ran for a few minutes then started sputtering so I was messing with the rich/lean adjustment knob on the front that is linked to the carb then it died. I have tried starting it back up many times and it wont turn over. Can someone tell me what they think it is. I think its because the rich/lean mixture knob on the front is not in the right position.

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 1979 Evinrude 9.9 carb adjusting

Take the knob off by pulling it outward and off. Pull the hood off and turn in the screw all the way to bottom it out. Back it out a turn and a half, put the knob on and start from there, it may be close enough to tune. Warn up the motor and get it running smooth with the adjustement knob. Check spark while you are at it, it may not be a fuel issue.

Oh ya forgot you have remove the air box off of the carb to do this, 4 screw from the top, 2 screws inside. When you reinstall you have to push the bottom platic piece against the carb as you tighten the 2 screws.

Last edited:

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: 1979 Evinrude 9.9 carb adjusting

Set the idle mix screw and check the sparks as advised. Should get good blue sparks that will jump 7/16".

If sparks are good and plugs are OK then probably flushed something into the carb that is now blocking a jet.

You may find http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158087 useful now or in the future