pre 79 control box installation

eagerfisher

Recruit
I have a 1976 year 2 handle control box that I want to use on a 1970 6 hp. Evinrude kicker. 2 questions--which handle is the shifter? How do I hook up the speed control? The hookup for the shifter is obvious. Or is there a on line link to look up this installation. Thanks Eagerfisher

joey maneri

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: pre 79 control box installation

the short inside lever is the shift. there should be a spot to hook the thottle cable end, but you may need to drill and tap the location for cable holder. i have a 69 6hp thats the way mine is.

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

Disregard, you already answered my question. LOL, did not see your answer until I finished mine. Basically I was wondering which lever was which on my 5.5 hook up. I have deleted my question. Thanks!

Last edited:

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

There is a bracket that can be purchased to accomodate the retainer clip for the shift cable trunion. I just tried to find a part number for it on shop.evinrude.com, but couldn't. An OMC/BRP dealer will be able to obtain the part for you.

If you try to attach the retainer directly to the cowl, the cable will not line up in a straight fore/aft position. It will work, but will tend to bind if the cables are run on the starboard side of the boat, as is the typical installation. This is due to an S curve in the cable that will be created by the improper installation.

I haven't bought one of these brackets in years, but its probably not too expensive.

Here's what it looks like on a 1965 Johnson 6hp. The retainer is not mounted and, if you look closely, you can see the raised nipple that fits into a hole on the retainer, so that it only requires one screw to mount.

6hpShiftBracket.jpg

???

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

Aprreciate any answers or recomendations...I have a 76 Starcraft with a 55 HP Evinrude, and am adding a 1961 Evinrude 5.5 "Fisherman" as a kicker motor. Since this motor will see more use than the 55hp because of the lakes in our immediate area requiring 10hp or less we are planning on trying to install a second controller, that the 5.5 owner gave us with the motor. Problem is, it is an old Scott Atwater control with cables, and while the throttle hooks up perfectly the end clip is missing on the shifter cable, and this motor has no bracket to connect it anyway on the motor shifter. I think I could put a small L bracket, drill a hole, and then run the cable through it and find a couple of nuts that would fit and let me shift, but unsure if this will work...have you folks ever worked with this kind of setup?

eagerfisher

Recruit

Thanks for the info---I'll see if my dealer has the bracket.
Keith

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

JSGOLD, start a new thread in regard to your issue, so that you don't hijack this one. You are going to have some issues with the setup for your 5.5hp motor, such as different oil mix and fuel tank type, as compared to your main powerplant.

Folks probably won't answer here, because of the thread hijacking situation, but you may get some good advice in your own thread.

???

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

Gotcha. Did not mean to "hijack", as they were discussing same subject bascially as mine. The poster is trying to hook up his motor, similar to mine, to a pre 79 control box. But will start a new post per your request.