What does Canada Derated mean?

jonlybonly

Cadet
Hello all,
I purchased my first outboard motor today and have a question. What does Canada Derated mean.

Thanks for the help.
jb

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: What does Canada Derated mean?

I think the HP rating is lower for Canada, a 75HP for example in the US is rated at 60HP here.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think the HP rating is lower for Canada, a 75HP for example in the US is rated at 60HP here.
ive been all over transort canadas site and cant find anything on ratings for boats.go by the sticker i would guess.never heard of ours being lower than the U.S.A.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

I think you will find that it is a derated version of a more powerful engine produced in or for the Canadian market.

Are there any laws or taxes in Canada that would lead to HP being restricted.

It may be possible without much effort or expense to re-rate it to its full power if I am right.

Out of interest what engine is it? Model number ?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Hello all,
I purchased my first outboard motor today and have a question. What does Canada Derated mean.

Thanks for the help.
jb

What is the motor ????
Post make, model and number if possible.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Wouldn't doubt if we had a law for it, we have one for everything else, pretty soon we won't be able to smoke in public. There was also a Belgium Derated version as well, from what I've seen in discussions there may be a carb restrictor plate or different size reeds that can effect hp ratings.

jonlybonly

Cadet

Thanks for your replies. I am away from the motor at this moment but if I remeber correctly the Model # is E20CRLCU. The dealer I purchased it from said it was a 1981 20 hp long shaft Evinrude.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

That would be the number for an '87 model. CU = 87. An '81 model would have the letters CI.
Should be another final leter as well but of no significance

jonlybonly

Cadet

Yeah that's what I came up with as well. I'll be getting ahold of manual this week.
jb

jonlybonly

Cadet

Just double checked. The Model # E20CRLCUR . The Serial number follows that and then Outboard Motor Company U.S.A. Anyhow, thanks for all of your replies. You have all been helpful.
jb

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

don't know about motors as late as 1987, but in the 70's there was a Johnson 20HP and Evinrude 20HP, whereas for the same model years the USA only had a 25HP version of the 22 cid motor.
The 20HP was for lakes with a 20HP limit (e.g. Algonquin Park)