Propeller Shaft Removal

ah64dive

Recruit
Hello,
This is my first post to the forum, I just found it today. I have a question about removing the propeller shaft from a 1986 Evirude 140 hp Outboard. It's a v-4 with a 20" shaft. I am replacing all of the lower unit seals and bearings after I saw a leak in the shaft seal with some water in the oil. I have already rebuilt the powerhead and it works great. The prop spun without any indication of binding or being seized. I have the manual and have already taken the bearing carrier out and am trying to pull the propeller shaft out along with the shift rod at the same time. This is what the manual says to do. Neither one wil come out, but they will slide back and forth and seem to be hitting something that prevents the shaft from coming out. Is there something I have missed? the parts I have removed seem to be in fairly good condition with only a small amount of corrosion on the bottom of one gear. Thanks for your help.

Ken G

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Propeller Shaft Removal

I'll assume you have removed the snap rings, retainer plate, and the drive shaft. You will need to remove the shift rod and the shift rod cover. You then must push the shift detent down to engage reverse to give the necessary clearance to remove the prop shaft assembly from the gear housing.

ah64dive

Recruit
Re: Propeller Shaft Removal

I figured it out right after I posted this, my manual must have flipped to the wrong page and I was looking at the instructions for a different model. Thanks for the advice though, Ken G.