Evinrude Control Box/shift/throttle cables

NLboat00

Recruit
Hello everyone, I have an Evinrude power pilot control box that I purchased two weeks ago. I took all the shift and throttle cables off and ordered new cables for it, but now I don't know which one goes where hehe, dumb I know.... Can someone please tell me which one goes where. The one that moves on the level that said Lift/warm? And the one that goes with shifter. And if someone can tell me the correct adjustment for them. Its a 1978 115 hp Evinrude. Thanks so much!

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Evinrude Control Box/shift/throttle cables

Hello everyone, I have an Evinrude power pilot control box that I purchased two weeks ago. I took all the shift and throttle cables off and ordered new cables for it, but now I don't know which one goes where hehe, dumb I know.... Can someone please tell me which one goes where. The one that moves on the level that said Lift/warm? And the one that goes with shifter. And if someone can tell me the correct adjustment for them. Its a 1978 115 hp Evinrude. Thanks so much!

the two cables will be the same.

86 century

Ensign

the throttle cable goes to the one that moves with the fast idle lever will be the top cable at the eng. If this does not help let me know I have that same eng. I can post some pics if needed

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i usually order the same length cables, install them in the control, then move the handle, and put a piece of tape on the throttle cable.

NLboat00

Recruit

I try messing with it, but i can;t get it to shift right, I would love to see some kind of pictures or illustrations. I think that would help greatly. thanks,

Joe

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Installing control cables.

1. set controls in neutral and at idle.

2. manually make sure motor is in neutral and at idle.

3. on the motor end of the cable, is a trunion nut (adjustment nut) there is a retainer, on
the motor for the trunion nut remove the clip.

4. without moving anything on the motor, adjust the trunion nut (turning nut) so that
The nut sits in the retainer, and will connect to the motor.

5. connect the cable to the motor, reinstall the retainer clip.

Note: you adjust the cable to the motor, not the motor to the cable.

NLboat00

Recruit

Ok, thanks so much everyone for replying. I did all that, but now the motor is acting wierd. Its making a a noise, like spitting noise, and sometime when i put it in gear it would cut out. And when i do get it up to a good speed, it kinna stall and go. Any ideas?