tell-tale stops pumping after running

Beck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi to all,

Lost my 48 spl to katrina, replaced it with 1981 johnson 70 hp. In 2007. Spent the last few years rebuilding my home in St. Bernard and finally finnished. Well a few months ago started rebuilding my trailer and finally took the boat out.

When I replace the engine I replaced the water pump impella and s/s houseing and the thermostat and some other grommets in the stat area. When I originally replaced the stat I tested and had strong pee stream but when I ran the boat fast the stream would stop. But after stopping the engine and restarting it would start again.

I went out yesterday and same thing. Strong pee stream and it would stop after running fast. But after a few times it stopped altogether and only had a low stream when restarting engine. I fished and let it cool. I trolled back to the launch. Restarted at launch to put boat on trailer, very weak pee stream.

Any info would be appreciated.

Sincerly,
David

jay mendoza

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: tell-tale stops pumping after running

Possible Corrosion Or Chunks Of Debris Blocking The Pee Hole Hose?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

check your compression. could have a leak into the cooling system. it could build up pressure and not allow water up into the block.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Not sure myself about this but just a thought. Does this model have the water control valve on it ??

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Check impeller key, head temperatures and running on muffs just how much "warm" water is coming out of the exhaust.

four m

Cadet

dirt dobber or any get a wire and clean out the end or take the hose off the block and blow it out with compressed air before u pull the foot back off.

Beck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the suggestions, will check to make sure the tube is clear.
And I was very careful about the keyway. The engine purrs like a kitten when running. Right before I bought it the prev. owner said the compression was good and had just been tuned up. When I bought it I did the water pump and plugs just to be sure.

Thanks again,
David