premium fuel? '75 135 v4 crossflow

pcrussell50

Petty Officer 1st Class
so far, i've had my "fast little boat" for about a year. it's a stripped down 16 footer with a classic performance hull, [bass boat'ish proportions], and it's powered by a 1975 v4 crossflow, 135hp evinrude. i don't have a single problem with this motor, and i love it!

i post about this boat and motor over on the "fast outboard boat " forums, [screamandfly.com]. and a few of them over there have this motor too. the senior members who ought to know, almost universally recommend that i use more than the 91 octane pump gas we have here in the southwest. they say this motor has a high ring stack and doesn't stand up well to detonation. sounds reasonable to me.

here's what's been going on: i've been using this boat just fine for the last year using the wimpy 91 we have around here, [unknowing about the requirement for high octane fuel], and things have been fine. BUT, the boat has been severely under-propped. i can't run it at full throttle once it's up on plane because it will easily go way past 6000rpm, so i throttle back a good deal to keep it at 5800 rpm. so this motor has never really seen a heavy loading scenario, where the octane of the fuel is put to the test.

here's what's about to change: i got a coarser prop that will hopefully allow me to realize some more speed and also be able to finally run it at full throttle. if i chose the prop right, i will get 5500rpm or so at full throttle, and that WILL put the octane of the fuel to the test. it'll be a couple of months before i can try it out because my wife is due with our first baby in 3 weeks, so i have time to ruminate and figure out how to find race fuel to mix with pump gas in between needles, ca and bullhead city, az.

anyway, what do you all know about the requirement for early v4 crossflows to use higher than 91 octane fuel?

also, in the car hobby, one might also back down the WOT spark timing advance a little. i'm new enough to this, that i do not know if there is a way to leave the idle timing as-is, but lop a little of the top? how involved is it to set the timing on big two strokes? i've got all the automotive tools for this, but don't know what i need to do an outboard.

peter
santa barbara, ca

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: premium fuel? '75 135 v4 crossflow

so far, i've had my "fast little boat" for about a year. it's a stripped down 16 footer with a classic performance hull, [bass boat'ish proportions], and it's powered by a 1975 v4 crossflow, 135hp evinrude. i don't have a single problem with this motor, and i love it!

i post about this boat and motor over on the "fast outboard boat " forums, [screamandfly.com]. and a few of them over there have this motor too. the senior members who ought to know, almost universally recommend that i use more than the 91 octane pump gas we have here in the southwest. they say this motor has a high ring stack and doesn't stand up well to detonation. sounds reasonable to me.

here's what's been going on: i've been using this boat just fine for the last year using the wimpy 91 we have around here, [unknowing about the requirement for high octane fuel], and things have been fine. BUT, the boat has been severely under-propped. i can't run it at full throttle once it's up on plane because it will easily go way past 6000rpm, so i throttle back a good deal to keep it at 5800 rpm. so this motor has never really seen a heavy loading scenario, where the octane of the fuel is put to the test.

here's what's about to change: i got a coarser prop that will hopefully allow me to realize some more speed and also be able to finally run it at full throttle. if i chose the prop right, i will get 5500rpm or so at full throttle, and that WILL put the octane of the fuel to the test. it'll be a couple of months before i can try it out because my wife is due with our first baby in 3 weeks, so i have time to ruminate and figure out how to find race fuel to mix with pump gas in between needles, ca and bullhead city, az.

anyway, what do you all know about the requirement for early v4 crossflows to use higher than 91 octane fuel?

also, in the car hobby, one might also back down the WOT spark timing advance a little. i'm new enough to this, that i do not know if there is a way to leave the idle timing as-is, but lop a little of the top? how involved is it to set the timing on big two strokes? i've got all the automotive tools for this, but don't know what i need to do an outboard.

peter
santa barbara, ca

You are correct, back in those days they said to run the higher horsepower motors on premium leaded gas. Not for the lead but for the octane. Pre-ignition and detonation was a real problem when leaded premium was outlawed. There were also some service bulletins issued concerning spark advance and carburetor jetting. Sorry, I don't have the bulletins, nor do I remember what motors they applied to.

So, yes use premium unleaded gas. And if you can find out the latest details concerning timing and stuff, do so. But don't guess at it. Yes full advance timing is adjustable without messing with the idle. Remember, full acvance timing is set at WOT, meaning your timing light has to be able to work in the 5000+ rpm range---that's 10000 in the older 4-stroke car rpms.

oldcat

Cadet

If you are running an octane sensitive engine such as your 135 never assume that the sticker on the pump has any corrolation to what is coming out of the nozzle. Run a mix using higher octane fuel from a known good source.

You can decrease the total timing without affecting the idle timing, they are seperate adjustments and the differences between them are compensated by the spring loaded linkage.

G DANE

Commander

That motor will live longer propped so it can reach 6000 at WOT, than if it is propped so it will not exceed 5500.

pcrussell50

Petty Officer 1st Class

That motor will live longer propped so it can reach 6000 at WOT, than if it is propped so it will not exceed 5500.

Very fine advice, thank you!

Looks like the simplest solution to me will be to find a source of racing gasoline near where i keep the boat, on the colorado river between needles, ca and bullhead city, az. i can probably get 113 octane leaded or 100 octane unleaded. and i think the leaded is a little cheaper. given that i typically use a gallon and a half an outing, race gas, at $5-8/gallon, mixed with pump premium, should not put me in the poor house.

yep, a gallon and a half an outing, typically. see, the wife an i launch and head across the narrow part of the lake, 5-minutes, to our favorite cove and hang out and fish and relax. then we drive back to the ramp, and i send her out to get the trailer. [yep, i trained her right :)]*then i do a couple of speed runs while she's gone, then recover the boat. 1.5 gallons. maybe 20 minutes of running/day.

*well, maybe i didn't train her. she is the daughter of a professional bass fisherman who had her backing up trailers before she was old enough to have a license.

-peter

jay mendoza

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Head over to the airport in Goleta and get some AVGAS 100 octane.
Around here ( Mission Viejo) we have a gas Unocal 76 gas station that has 100 octane at one of the pumps. You might call around your area and see....

pcrussell50

Petty Officer 1st Class

now, the seloc manual says the WOT rpm should be 5000. BUT I've heard it is prone to typo's. anyone know the real skinny on what should be the WOT rpm for this motor?

-Peter

G DANE

Commander

DHadley is your man, lots of years with work on those.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Your 1975 135HP OMC factory service manual (pg. 2-29) lists the full throttle operating range at 4500-5500 RPM. Prop for 5,800 at WOT under normal load so that you don't lug the engine.

BTW, the factory minimum recommendation for your specific motor at that time was "pump posted" 89 octane. See page 2-6.

SB 2159R1, October 1986, advised that if pump posted 91 AKI or higher was used, no modification was necessary.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If you are running stock heads and have not cut the block deck, run nothing more than 87 octane. Be very, very careful of what you "hear" on S&F. There are some guys there that know what's going on but very very few that know what to do with a crossflow.

The advise you're getting here is solid, 87 octane and 5800 rpm. We've turned a V4 crossflow lot more rpm than 5800 on 87 octane. You'll be fine with 87, Champion plugs and 5800.