Needing LOTS of help!

dolphinlvr55

Recruit
:confused:Ok....here's the deal! I was looking for a man with a boat....I gave up and bought one (boat, I mean...lol).
It's a 79 Chrysler,16.5' with a 85 HP Evinrude motor on it. I don't even have it home yet....have to get a hitch and light hook ups on my suv so, I don't know any numbers, models or yrs(other than already stated).It is a project boat, needs lots of TLC. I bought the boat, GOOD trailer and motor for $200.00...lol! The seller said that it won't crank and even though at this time I'm very sketchy on info that y'all need I was wondering if I could get a hint or two, I promise to follow up with pertinent info as soon as I get it.

They took the boat out, it started, ran like a dream, went to start it to move to a different fishin hole.....turned over 3-4 times before starting, went to next fishin hole......this time it took 7-8 turn overs for it to start....next stop it took 12-15 to start it.....went to the dock, turned it off...tried again.....would not start (only turnover). He did have a tune-up done on it....didn't help. For the last yr it has been sitting at a boat repair shop patiently waiting for it's turn.....the seller finally just went and got it...put it up for sale. The seller said there was no strange noises, smoke, odors...nothing. I live in Tx now, moving to Lake City, Fl at the 1st of the yr so, I'm trying to get "Him" all purty and running so we can go play with the gators...lol! I am mechanically inclined, I have done alot of different things on a car....altenator(telling my age...oops), starter, dimmer switch, having to remove an airbag by the way! Blower motor, oil, tires, points and plugs(dang! There I go telling my age again!),anyway, I'm not a woman that needs to be told what a screwdriver is...lol. Just don't make me break a nail and I'll be fine!;). I know this is premature since I don't have the boat here but, was curious as to whether it sounded like something cheap or expensive....I say cheap, doesn't sound like much to me, connection problems? I'm sure I will have a kazillion questions as this progresses and I PROMISE the post won't be as long.....Thank you all and have a good one!! Joyce

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Needing LOTS of help!

Engines need fuel, spark, and compression to run. So obviously we're missing at least one of these things. First thing I would do is a compression test. If the numbers come back good we can proceed. Fuel problems are usually fairly cheap to fix, spark problems can get expensive.

You'll also want to get us the model number of the motor when you can.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

At this point check the compression, ignition, fuel. You may find you don't need a hitch, or trailer light's. At this point we could sit, and guess all day with you. Start with the above check's, and we can go from there.

dolphinlvr55

Recruit

Hey Guys! I'm a CADET...wahooo! Thank you sooo much for your input! I'm making a list and reading posts for instructions and how to carry out what you've suggested. I should pick up the boat next Thurs, in the meantime, I was sooooo inspired by the links to the restoration projects that I thought I'd add a few pics. Remember....boat, motor and trailer was $200.00! Ohhh...it also came with a canopy with 3 small tears and the tires on the trailer are new. Did I do good?? Huh? HUH? Did I??? :)

Attachments

• boat2[1].jpg
    boat2[1].jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 0
  • boat4[1].jpg
    boat4[1].jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 0
  • boat8[1].jpg
    boat8[1].jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 0
  • boat10[1].jpg
    boat10[1].jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 0
  • boat12[2].jpg
    boat12[2].jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That's very nice for $200. I used to have an Evinrude 85 and never had a problem with it. Put 100s of hours on it water skiing. It would do about 36 mph with 4 people. It was electric shift so you have to make sure you get the right oil for the lower unit. Good luck!

dolphinlvr55

Recruit

dolphinlvr55------> making note, make sure I use the right oil in the lower part. Thank you! have a good one! Joyce

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yours does not have electric shift so you're good there.

asdasc

I think you got an awesome deal!! Good job!

Even if all else fails and the motor is trash (which I really doubt) you can part it out for far more than you paid.

First, as they said, click the link below to test the compression. If you don't have a compression tester, you can get them at any autoparts store. Some even let you borrow or rent them, but they aren't THAT expensive. Good luck, and let us know what you find out. Then we will go to the next steps.

Compression Testing

dolphinlvr55

Recruit

Ok Guys...I'm back with a little more info! I went to a junk yard yesterday, found a hitch for $50. and my niece and I put it on this morning...what a job, had to take the bumper off and all, I have an 04 Ford Escape. Anyway, went to get the boat this afternoon and got her home safe and sound....1st time I've ever towed or pulled anything, even backed her up in the yard....not gonna say how many tries it took...lol. The man I bought her from said that he had taken it to a mechanic and the mechanic said that the compression was great, then he did a tune up. The man also told me that the carbs had been rebuilt, a new water pump put on, stator(?) checked out, powerpac checked and flywheel....all that stuff is good. Right now the battery is dead, I will take it to Auto Zone and have it tested and/or charged this weekend. The boat has been on the water several times since the rebuilding of the carbs and the new water pump. OK....I guess that's it for now, I have some of those ear muff thingy's to hook a water hose too so, after I have the battery checked I'll let y'all know. Thanks again for all your help! Joyce

itsaboattime

First.....welcome to iboats!!
I think you did great. That's a pretty good looking rig, especially for $200.00.

You may want to check the compression, fuel system, and spark for yourself.

This forum has several threads that contain the words "the guy I bought it from said...." and "the guy I bought it from replaced......".

You see where I'm going with this? I'm not accusing anybody of anything, but, the piece of mind of verifying a few things yourself can save alot of time and frustration later.

A service/repair manual is a priceless investment. Original manufacturer's manual is the best one. It is specific for your particular outboard.

Again welcome to iboats!!
Happy boating!!

bhughes

Seaman

I hope you got a winch on that trailor before you towed it down the road....

dolphinlvr55

Recruit

A winch??? Oh crap! What is that??Is it the thing where you hook it to the boat and turn the handle to get the boat up on the trailer? if so, it has one of those.

McGvr

Seaman Apprentice

:)Yes that's the winch.
Congrats, That sounds like a fantastic deal.
Good luck on getting it fixed up.

McG

bhughes

Seaman

Oh yeah, I see it now. It was kind of hidden in the picture.

jonesg

Admiral

Start a new post in the renovation forum for the boat ,
trailer forum for the trailer.

The boat will need work for sure.