stalls when put in gear

stingertrey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Motor wont idle to well... Carb is so clean.. I have cleaned and recleaned theres nothing plugging it up.. but when I put it in gear it wont turn up rpms like it should, or just dies?

86 century

Ensign
Re: stalls when put in gear

If you set the idle on muffes it may be to low. My 115hp johnsons drop alot form muffes to lake.

Try replacing your fuel filter if you haven't already...and get some stuff called Seafoam to put into your gas tank...it worked for me on my old Glastron with Mercury 1000 (100HP) motor. Also make sure you only use premium gas when you tank her up. You can also bump up your idle on the ears a bit as previously mentioned. How long since you put in new plugs and wires to tune it up...just curious?

A friend recommended this product to me...and I thought I would pass it along to you.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motor-treatment/index.html

Mike in Missouri - Pronounced Misery! :D

pcrussell50

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you set the idle on muffes it may be to low. My 115hp johnsons drop alot form muffes to lake.

+1

my 135hp evinrude, which should be the same motor as your 115hp johnson, idles a good deal faster on the muffs than it does at the lake. i never worried about it.

i attribute it to my cheap, one-sided muff that can't load the impeller like full immersion in water.

peter
santa barbara, ca

captk

Petty Officer 1st Class

got spark on all 4?

PFS

Cadet

With my 9.5 Johnson I had to set up the throttle to the flywheel by means of the mark on the cam plate on the underside of the flywheel and the roller which controls the throttle. If you cleaned your carb perhaps you threw this setting off.

What size motor do you have?

stingertrey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its the 5.5hp evinrude.. I got a guy who wants to buy it for $150.. I told him the deal with it and hes confident he can fix it.. I got it cranking but ima let it go.. I have an opportunity to buy a 10hp johnson he said he thinks its a 70's model or a 9.5 evinrude sportwin.. whats my best choice

bktheking

Vice Admiral

10 johnson, the 9.5's can be troublesome.

stingertrey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have read on these forums how the 9.5 sportwins are notorious for exhaust leaks under the cowl.. everyone think the 10 is my best bet? and when I go to look at it what should I look for/ check.. should I bring a compression tester? and what else?