1998 evinrude 60 hp starting trouble

DUNITALL

Cadet
I use the primer ball and then hit the starter switch, if it don't start in three seconds it seems as tho the battery is rundown but if I hold the key to start Poisson it will sometime start to turn again and start. I took the starter off and it seems to spin just fine. I checked the charging unit and it puts out about 14 volts. could it be the switch? Thanks Walt:confused:

trendsetter240

Lieutenant
Re: 1998 evinrude 60 hp starting trouble

Check the connections at your battery terminal. If they are loose tighten them. If they are corroded, clean them with a wire brush.

If the connections are good then your battery may be failing.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

90% of starter problems are bad connections. remove and clean both ends of the battery cables, so that they are shiney, also the cable from the solenoid to starter. check for nicks in the cables. and make sure the connectors are on the wire good. the cable tend to corrode from the inside out, if nicked, corroded wires, and connections, heat up and cause resistance to the follow of electricity, thus the starter doesn't get enough. you can also take jumper cable pos battery post to large post on starter. with a good connection, the engine should spin. then if the starter is good clean everything and retest. then trouble shoot solenoid. starters can be rebuit at a starter/alternator shop, much cheaper than a new one.

also have the battery load tested at the auto parts store, free, i've had new batteries go bad

tboydva

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In my case, my starter needed a rebuild... As others have mentioned, make sure all your connections are clean and tight. If you know your battery is good (I ended up getting mine load tested three times before I was convinced). My starter would work sometimes, others not so well (really just chugged). If you have a local alternator repair shop, they can likely repair your starter (if it's tired). Worthwhile $60 for me (guy even repainted it!).

I was really thrown off, because when I started up my kicker (with charging system wired onto the starting battery), it would provide enough juice to get my starter going. Likely it would run at ~14V, but bog down at ~12V. Maybe if you try it with a battery charger and it turns over strong, but not with a charged battery, your starter has issues like mine had?

DUNITALL

Cadet

Thanks to all for your help. I will be taking the boat out at the end of November and will check it out. I will check the cables , connections, starter, and solenoid. If that don't do it I will try the ignition switch. Thanks again Walt

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Cables and connections as stated previously.