Just purchased 4.5 Evin. 1982 Impeller question

mettyfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There is not the normal 4 bolts under the cavatation plate. But I see 2 close together under there and one on top near the shift linkage. Which ones do I take out to drop the lower unit for impeller change. What else shall I look for while trying to get this started. I know I will probably have to clean the carb. Does this motor have a telltale? Thanks, Metty

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: Just purchased 4.5 Evin. 1982 Impeller question

2 bolts underneath and one from above.

Driveshaft should pull from crankshaft , shift rod from mechanism at the top and water tube from water pump.

BUT if its a longshaft take the extension off with the gear case then remove it after cleaning up the drive shaft.

I dont think it has a tell tale but if it does you'll see the connection on the exhaust manifold cover with a small hose running to an outlet in the rear corner of the lower cover.

Impeller change is very straightforward provided the drive shaft is not stuck in the crankshaft

Diagrams on SHOP.EVINRUDE.COMare very useful.

mettyfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Just purchased 4.5 Evin. 1982 Impeller question

Thanks for the info gentlemen. I fired it up and it ran absolutely perfect. It does have a telltale but no hose running over to a corner. It just sprays right out underneath the block. I probably will change impeller but it pumped perfect. What a nice little motor. The guy I bought it from had no idea when it had been run last. Maybe someone actually ran the gas out of it on the last time. As I thought I would have to clean the carb. But guess I do not have to. This motor seems big for a 4.5. Was this body used for bigger motors aslo? Just wondering? Thanks, Metty