175 johnson hose problems

joey maneri

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i just got a 1981 175 johnson basket case. i assembled the motor to the point where now i have no idea where all the small hoses on the sides of the block and under the carbs go. i cant find any info or diagrams. i think the hoses under the carbs help lube the main bearings, but have no clue what the hoses on the sides of the block are for. (theres like 6 ports on each side of the block). any info would be great.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 175 johnson hose problems

I believe that on your model, the fuel primer (choke) solenoid injects fuel into the side bypass covers when the choke is applied. So, you have a fuel primer solenoid by the carbs which must be plumbed with tiny hoses and hose tees in order to distribute/inject fuel into the 6 tiny hose barbs on the bypass covers by each cylinder. You can check the factory parts list for the components you need, as they are listed. Also possible that your engine has a recirculation system on it-on this issue, you'd need to check the factory service manual for an exact hose routing for your engine.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Good tip I use is to take a gazillion digital photos during teardown and keep them till re-assembled again for reference.
Even better tip is having an OEM manual for the motor.

joey maneri

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I believe that on your model, the fuel primer (choke) solenoid injects fuel into the side bypass covers when the choke is applied. So, you have a fuel primer solenoid by the carbs which must be plumbed with tiny hoses and hose tees in order to distribute/inject fuel into the 6 tiny hose barbs on the bypass covers by each cylinder. You can check the factory parts list for the components you need, as they are listed. Also possible that your engine has a recirculation system on it-on this issue, you'd need to check the factory service manual for an exact hose routing for your engine.

do you mean the hoses under the carbs when you say recirculation system? if so i have another set of caebs and intake with all the hoses still on it, but these carbs have the choke tubes connected to the top of the carbs. these carbs i believe are off a vro motor. if i use these carbs i dont know what to do with the ports on the side of the block

joey maneri

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good tip I use is to take a gazillion digital photos during teardown and keep them till re-assembled again for reference.
Even better tip is having an OEM manual for the motor.

I wish I had done the teardown! I have a digital camera in my head. Ive been an auto tech for allmost 20 years, this stuff is not my normal thing.