89 Johnson 25hp bogging at full throttle

xbassman

Cadet
The motor, Johnson 25hp Tracker Mod. TJ25ELCEB ran like a top few months ago, but when I took it out day before yesterday it ran, but bogged badly at 3/4 & full throttle. Had to use the key/choke to keep her rpm's up so that told me not getting enough gas. Pulled the carb, took out all jets and needle valves, soaked in carb cleaner overnight and put back together. Here is a list of the jets and needle valves: Air mixture on top half of carb., a jet marked #30 in front of the top half at 12 o'clock position, behind the bowl plug is another jet, and of course the float valve and seat. The carb is now clean as a pin with all passages open (think they already were). Here is a question: Do I seat all the jets, only two, one at 12 o'clock on top half of carb #30 and the one located behind the bowl plug? I know the float valve seat gets seated tight. Hooked up my garden hose, fired right up but when in gear and full throttle I could hear it bogging. New gas, inline gas filter, new gas line fm tank to motor. Remember, this motor ran great just a few months ago!! Here is another mystery.....I look at a diagram of my carb online and everything is same BUT, my carb has a small diameter copper tube pressed into the top 1/2 of the carb and it extends downward thru the gasket, float and seats in the bottom of the bowl. This tube has couple/three sets of holes at the very bottom. Inside this tube is a smaller rod with a pointed end. I am guessing this is the gas pickup. Wonder why this does not show up on the diagram of my carb???? I can't see a high speed adjustment anywhere on this carb. Bottom line....why is she bogging?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 89 Johnson 25hp bogging at full throttle

I would check or repair/replace the fuel pump.
Try squeezing the primer bulb to stop the bogging.

xbassman

Cadet
Re: 89 Johnson 25hp bogging at full throttle

Found the problem....the primer bulb had a defective check valve inside it, thus the engine was not getting enough fuel, thus the bogging. Should have spotted this when I noticed the bulb getting soft during operation plus the fuel filter was empty of gas. As to the carb ID thing, I was told the photo online was of "servicable" parts on my carb and the item I was concerned about was NOT a "servicable" part. Thanks to all who responded.