lower unit swap possible?

phineas

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi again , my down season is approaching so i am gearing to work on the treasure I gathered in the summer. Not much work for gardeners up here in winter. I have a '57 johnson RDE-19 239513. I paid $90 at a yard sale at my church with 3 pressure tanks and a good paddle. In very clean condition, with all controls ( rubber somewhat rodent damaged). I also got a motor given to me, the tag says RD-17S, it has been repainted and a 30 painted on the cover, it is seized and I don't mean gently, it has had water in the power head and froze and broke stuff from the inside out , so I think the power head is toast. However it is a long shaft, i would like to make the RDE-19 a long shaft motor as my transom is 21". So my question is, first, just what is the RD-17 S 1300228,, i cannot find it under any list for 35 HP that i have, or under 30 HP either. Is it a 25HP? and if so can i use the spacer and other things that make the motor a longshaft? Thanks guys, I have had great luck in gathering older motors this summer, people tired of tripping over them i guess. I got a couple for the price of the scrap. see ya soon,,,dave

lindy46

Captain
Re: lower unit swap possible?

RDE-17 is a 1955 25hp. Lower unit should exchange with a 1957 35hp.

phineas

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: lower unit swap possible?

well thanks a whole lot , i am so glad to have this place to ask for help, i am collecting old out boards with the plan of restoring the nicer specimens and parting out not so nice ones, my local small engine shop decided to leave marine repair alone and is going to gather all the shop manuals for marine and sell them to me, i already bought all the NOS and a trailer load of motors and part motors, i have about 30 motors now and always looking for more, i am single so no wife to complain, thanks again