Evinrude 6hp increase power

looseheadsurfer

Recruit
I have a 1996 Evinrude 6hp 2 stroke, wondering the ways I can increase the horsepower.

Is this motor a de-tuned 8hp?

Would a different carb or prop give me the added hp.

I need more power and wondering if it can be increased by that mush versus buying an 8hp.

Thanks

freddyray21

Commander
Re: Evinrude 6hp increase power

not much to do to get more horsepower out of them. You can fool around with prop pitch to get a bit more, but it's a six horse so basically a fishing motor. Not made to go real fast. What are you trying to do with it?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

It is a detuned 8hp - sort of. Although they share a lot of parts, the crankcase and intake are different, with the 8's intake having four reeds per cylinder and the 6 having three. No easy way to swap them out, either, as the crankcase castings are different.

Bottom line - if you need more power, get a bigger motor...

jay mendoza

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Add 5% nitro-methane, 16:1 methanol to castor oil ratio, richen up the high and low speed jets( or get a Tillotson for alcohol), megaphone or tuned pipe exhaust, two stages colder spark plugs, advance the timing 5 degrees, lighten and balance the flywheel, get a racing prop, run it WFO until it blows!! This is how all the old time class A,B, and C guys got more power on their stock hydro engines.

I know it sounds silly, but this is exactly what we do to 1950s and 1960s industrial 2-cycle engines as used in karting( no nitro however, just methanol), and they actually put out quite a bit more power and hold together.

Best bet for fishing is a bigger engine however.