1972 evinrude lower unit metal shavings

shad1234

Recruit
Im new to the outboard thing, I just ran my 72 50hp evinrude. I had to pull apart the lower unit because it wasn't shifting. I adjusted the soliniod rods an got it to shift. So I had it on the water I was unable to get it to stay running in low idle so I had to shift at high rpm. It ran great, expecpt the high rpm shifting. got home an drained lower unit found metal shavings an the oil was milkly. Any knowledge on the issue would be great.. I fear that I f-ed somthing up all the gears looked great it was the first time I ran it.....
Shad

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1972 evinrude lower unit metal shavings

Sounds like you may have multiple problems. If you just ran it one time and got milky oil you likely have a leaking seal in the lower unit that needs to be fixed. The metal shavings could be a serious problem. If they are black metal, it is likely just crude coming out and all is well. If it is shining metal, then that could be a sign of some gear problem. I believe a 72 50hp is push button shifting. If it is, you are suppose to use a lighter weight lower unit oil and not the 90 weight.

The idle problem is likely due to gunk in the carburetor. You would need to rebuild them.