Propeller Lash ?

richock

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all - newbie here...
I have a 1973 (ish) Evinrude 65 HP on the back of my 69 starcraft Bahama.
ALl of the following is done with motor off...
When the shifter is in neutral, I can spin the prop freely (as expected).
Then I shift into forward, and I can spin the prop about 90-180 degress around before I feel the motor stopping the spin and starting to spin the motor. Sma ething when I put shifter into reverse.
My question is, How much should I be able to spin the prop when it's in gear before the prop shaft on up begin to engage?
I called it propeller lash, But I think that's not right.
Thanks All.

FAC

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Propeller Lash ?

it is about the same for my 1983 25hp

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Perfectly normal. You're spinning the lugs of the shift clutch dog between the mating lugs on the gears. There is a significant gap between the lugs on both to aid in shifting...

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Perfectly normal. You're spinning the lugs of the shift clutch dog between the mating lugs on the gears. There is a significant gap between the lugs on both to aid in shifting...

100% correct, not to worry. Consider this: When running, the forward and reverse gears are spinning in opposite directions. A clutch dog slides between them to couple them to the prop shaft, acccording to which one is engaged. In order to slide into the cavity in the spinning gear, there has to be as much space as possible to get it in there without clattering. That space is the backlash you are seeing.

A side note: For the same reason, you should always shift into gear as quickly as possible. Trying to gently ease it into gear is the worst thing you can do. If you hear it clatter, you are doing it wrong.

sdshort

Cadet

Sounds good to me. Lower units are designed like this for a reason. It allows time for the clutch and dogs to drop into gear when you shift them. If there was not any lash there they would grind like crazy when you went to put it into gear. Also a pointer, when you go to put your outboard into gear, don't try to ease it into gear, this will also cause unnessesary grinding in the lower unit. Just use a nice steady and relatively quick transition from neutral to forward or reverse. Good luck and welcome