1975 75 horse evinrude

rayhrouda

Recruit
I am having a problem with my 1975 evinrude.I have fuel getting to the carbs but none going in and filling up the bowls. there is fuel going all the way to the carbs. I even have pressure at the lines on the carbs.could all three needles stick at once or is there a fuel cutoff switch maybe? I had it out on the water last week and she ran fine could they all clog that quick.I hope someone can point me in the right direction

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: 1975 75 horse evinrude

Just a guess, but id say you may have ethanol in the gas and it is eating the rubber tip on the needle causing them to stick.
But as i said, thats just a guess.
As for the fuel shut off, you would be able to see it if it had one.

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1975 75 horse evinrude

Curious as to how you know that fuel is going to all the carburetors but not filling up the carburetor bowls? You might have a blockage somewhere so let's start from the fuel source and see where it is. Assuming you have had this motor awhile, you know how to start it when it is cold, and the problem just began since you said it ran last week.

Make sure the vent on the tank is open. Try removing the big screw on the fuel pump and check the filter screen for a blockage. Before you put the fuel pump back together again, give the bulb a squeeze and see if fuel comes out. If all is well, put the fuel pump back together. If you can, try to remove one of the fuel lines that leads attaches to a carburetor. Give the bulb another squeeze and see if you get fuel coming out. Do it for all the carburetors, if you can easily remove the fuel hose that leads to them. If you notice any pieces of stuff besides fuel during these tests, you likely have degraded fuel lines due to ethanol. That stuff is likely in your carburetor and a rebuild is in order. Also replace the fuel lines during the rebuild process.