1980 Evinrude 60HP Outboard

G'day Guys

I need your help! I have recently bought a second hand 1980 Evinrude 60HP Outboard Motor for my 5m fishing boat here in Melbourne Australia.

It was professionally installed by a reputable boat shop. All electrics have been wired by pros.

On my first trip out on Monday the motor started off nicely-cruised out of jetty and then eased nicely out to 30-40kms per hour.

After anchoring for a half hour, the motor then took a long time to accelerate when coming out of idle. I followed the exact same procedure as follows:

turn key in ignition-press key in to choke engine three times-pulled idle lever forward to start position-turned key to ON-leave idling for 30-60 seconds-then push accelerator lever forward.

This is where the problem started - the engine would stall.

I tried priming the fuel line etc etc and eventually the engine would start accelerating again. Fuel mixture is spot on (50:1)

Questions:

1 Am I following the correct procedure
2 Would the stalling be a result of incorrect fuel (I now know that Ethanol petrol should NOT be used)

Thanks in advance for your help

Re: 1980 Evinrude 60HP Outboard

Thanks mate - the power of the internet!!! and of this site!

Do you think that my problem was simply not following your procedure? Or is there something in me using Ethanol Unleaded Fuel?

I am worried that I may have damaged the motor!

Re: 1980 Evinrude 60HP Outboard

Thanks mate - the power of the internet!!! and of this site!

Do you think that my problem was simply not following your procedure? Or is there something in me using Ethanol Unleaded Fuel?

I am worried that I may have damaged the motor!

Sorry to be so persistent guys, but do you foresee that the ethanol fuel may have caused the stalling?? I understand that ethanol fuel does attract water and this may have caused the stalling.

By the way, thank you very much- I have printed your procedures and will laminate them for use on my boat.