96' ocean pro 200 Overheating

I have a few issues here, I will start with the overheating, I had the ears on just checking on another issue I have going on and realized the temp sky rocketing, hot to the touch on both heads and gauge says it is also hot. I am getting a decent normal stream from the pisser, I removed the thermostats just to make sure and also the valve between the thermo's the valve had a small unidentifiable chunk stuck in it which I removed and ran the engine again still hot right away. After further inspection the chunk may or may not be a chunk of gasket material I am hoping not, All plugs and compression are good. When I started the engine with ears attached again I loosened the thermostat housing to make sure I was getting water through, It wasnt at first then it started to slowly pour. What am I missing? Is there a way to check or clear any possible blockages, I heard blowing air, but where? Up the pisser? ouch Ha Ha.... is it possible the water pump/ impeller be bad even if I am getting good pressure on my gauge and a good stream I wouldn't think it would get so hot so fast even with a bad impeller. I had the boat out last weekend and never had a temp problem. It is a saltwater boat but the top end was re-done less than two years ago and I periodically use a salt remover to flush with.....
Ok on to the next...... my engine will not turn up past 4900 rpm which it used to run about 5300-5400. Once in a while it will have full power then cut right back. I was having trouble not turning past 4200 and realized I had a leaky spark plug wire which has since been replaced and runs better but still not all the way. All 6 cylinders are firing, the plugs seem identical to each other, and the compression are all within 3 points of each other. I have a fear that after letting someone else look at it they may have moved the timing advance screw. Would this cause my problem? I checked the timing on the water at idle and it seems fine, after some reading I see there is a WOT timing point as well how do I find this or what is it? I have a "1996 200 ocean pro" If it is not the timing do you have any suggestions? and help with the WOT timing point would be great too. Thanks alot I realize I may be a little wordy just trying to cover bases. I appreciate any good help.

Re: 96' ocean pro 200 Overheating

After reading some more posts today I just took apart the valve between the thermos found some more unknown material kind of scared me at first but then removed the thermos and blew air through the system and all is fine. Thanks anyways I am guessing the slight blockage in the valve was probably it.

daselbee

Commander
Re: 96' ocean pro 200 Overheating

More likely the muffs themselves.
I never use muffs anymore. They introduce air into the water intake, and that air can find its way to the top of the block, causing overheating.

Try it in a tank, or on the water, and I bet you will not see the overheat that you experienced with the muffs.