oil around prop

molehol

Recruit
I have not messed with outboards since 1957 and at that time a 10hp was the standard big motor. I have a 85ESL72R and I noticed that I have a oily substance coming out around the prop. I did not know if that could be from the exhaust or if I might have a oil seal leaking.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: oil around prop

probably from the exhaust, but you might want to remove the prop and carefully inspect your prop shaft seal. Wouldn't want water getting into your lower end. Good luck!

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

If its black and gungy it is most likely from the exhaust.
If it is obviously gear case oil then you have a seal leaking ... check the condition of the gear oil. If there is a leaking seal water will probably be getting in as well and the oil will look milky.
BUT its an hydraulic/electric shift ?? so the gear oil will not be the usual Hi Vis oil so maybe not so easy to identify.

read http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=207285

If the engine was winterized with fogging oil then I would expect to see oil coming out of the exhaust. That happened to me and it freaked me out until I realized what I was looking at.

It doesn't hurt to change out the lower unit gear lube. You will know right away if there is an issue with leakage once you drain the old lube.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

It doesn't hurt to change out the lower unit gear lube
It should be changed regularly, every 100 hours or at least once per season

molehol

Recruit

I found new gaskets and changed out the lower unit oil. Everything was in great shape, refilled with new lube and went fishing today. The answers I recieved were most helpful and I THANK everyone for their information. I wish the fishing had been as good as the advice.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Smells of gas......unburnt 2 stroke oil.
Smells of rotten eggs.......Lower unit oil.