Which would you buy, V4 65hp or 3cyl 60hp

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am an old cheap boat junkie. Currently refurbing a 16ft glass bass boat, rated up to 85 hp. Previously had OMC power, not sure which motor.

I have found 2 suitable candidates, both supposedly 'run well' and appear to have been used this season. Assuming no low compression, or other deal-breakers, which would you suggest

1) Closer to home, a late 60s 3cyl 60hp with hydro electric shift, and power tilt. Allegedly all works; and it does look very clean, good controls etc.

2) 1hr drive, a early-mid 60s V4 64hp - assume it is a Starflite, manual shift. This particular owner claims it runs super, ready to fish.

I like the styling of the narrow 3cyl better, but I am dubious about the electric shift.

Opinions?

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Which would you buy, V4 65hp or 3cyl 60hp

No brainer to ME,the 3 cyl.Lighter,more economical,less to deal with as far as points,etc.trim and tilt is a nice option.I understand your concern about the elec.shift.Can be costly for problems.Why are you holding yourself to these 2 choices?The 3 cyl.with manual shift would be a great option if you can hold out til one comes along.The olde the eng.the harder to find parts.Is the boat rigged for an omc,if so,what does it have for controls,gauges etc.What use did these engines have.Fresh or salt water?I see your upstate NY,my thoughts are ,fresh water use.I like the 3 cyl.its the newest of tech of the 2 and the 3 cyl performed well.I had a couple over the yrs.not elec shift though

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

I'd go the 3 cly without a second thought except for the elect shift :(
Like mikesea said- Why limit yourself to just those 2 :confused:

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class

because they are stupid cheap this time of year. like 50 bucks cheap, tmepted to buy both and roll the dice....i know the V4s drink gas like crazy, any other reasons against the slightly older motor?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Fifty bucks? Holy crap, I should drive down to upstate NY! I was in Syracuse in Sep for an Orangemen game :) Are you near there?

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

because they are stupid cheap this time of year.
Code:
like 50 bucks cheap
, tmepted to buy both and roll the dice....i know the V4s drink gas like crazy, any other reasons against the slightly older motor?

:eek:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I'd go the 3 cly without a second thought except for the elect shift :(
Like mikesea said- Why limit yourself to just those 2 :confused:

Well, now how about another opinion? Just exactly what 3 cyl are we talking about here? I have to assume 1970 or '71, right? Well OK, they are indeed good motors, but read all the threads here from people that can't get them to run right. They had the first generation of electronic ignition with breaker points and a distributor cap. State of the art back then, but troublesome now by today's technology. They have to be just right or you will be nothing but frustrated.

There is nothing wrong with the Hydro-Electric shift if in good condition. If not, dig deep into your pocket. The shift switch costs $400 if you can find one.

As for the V4, it is super reliable good old bread and butter. And heavier and burns twice the gas. So, which is important to you?

I guess bottom line is condition, conditin, condition.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Buy em both, use the 3 cylinder as a kicker :D

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Buy em both, use the 3 cylinder as a kicker :D

Heh, I missed the 50 bucks part. That throws a whole new light on the subject. What can you get for $50?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

The flywheel off one motor, grab both of them, part em both out and buy a better motor!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

The one in the best overall condition !!! for that price it is a throwaway motor if it fails. Just make sure you have a reliable kicker.

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class

LOL on the advise, mixed as it is. I am a very serious boat nut, 12 months a year, 2 daily searches of Craigslist and Ebay. At any given time I have 4-8 boats in various stages of restore; we live on a hobby farm with plenty of room for the junk :)

So yes if you invest 4 million hours a year into searching you can find bargains, especially this time of year. Broken ugly rotted boats get the wives mad, and finally it comes down to 'just take it off my hands' pricing.

Right now I am looking at a half dozen boat/motor/trailer combos for less than $400 each; parsing through which bits are useful etc. The bass boat I got for 100 complete with years of crap and leaves- it is on Shareaproject under bassmaster 1550.

I am leaning towards the 3 cyl because it would look better on the bass boat, and potentially be a better fit. And if it needs too much work, I will part it. It is owned by a low-end car mechanic who claims it runs fine, but the boat is trash (true).

If I have time I will probably score both. thanks for the input. Anyone want a free hull?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

"So yes if you invest 4 million hours a year into searching you can find bargains, especially this time of year. Broken ugly rotted boats get the wives mad, and finally it comes down to 'just take it off my hands' pricing."

Does this mean you're single so the hull's can pile up? :)

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

"So yes if you invest 4 million hours a year into searching you can find bargains, especially this time of year. Broken ugly rotted boats get the wives mad, and finally it comes down to 'just take it off my hands' pricing."

Does this mean you're single so the hull's can pile up? :)

Great response !!!

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I wouldn't take either one of them at any price, including no price.

Parts for either of them will be very hard to find in some cases and the V4 is going to be a fuel hog. I'm not afraid of hydroelectric shift - I have a '72 Johnson 65hp with it and its been flawless for the 4 years that I have owned and operated the motor.

The difference between my "triple" and the one you are contemplating, however, is the ignition system. Mine has magneto CD ignition (stator, timer base, powerpack), while "yours" has battery CD (points, distributor, amplifier) ignition. Get on shop.evinrude.com and check parts availability and price on items for that motor - its not a pretty picture!

All of this said, the OMC triples are great motors, so if you find a later model engine that is in good shape, that's the way to go IMO.

???

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Great response !!!

Why is it that the wives get mad, new motor=happy husband, never quite understood why they get angry. I picked up a 76 15hp last night for $75, it's like I struck gold and then had to hear about it for 45 minutes on ride home. They buy a pair of Lulu Lemon shorts for $70 and we applaud them! At least we know that the motor will work and fit still in 10 years.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

What the heck are LuLu Lemon shorts?

Anyway, I say buy both engines. Someone that checks the boat ad's twice a day 365 days a year will find another one soon and we all know that with two engines the same one can usually make one good engine :)

And dang, a '76 15hpo for $75? How'd I miss that one!

(for those of you wondering, Carleton Place and Ottawa are only about 20 miles apart or so)

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Athletic gear mainly for women, really expensive athletic gear that is.
It came up on used ottawa in the morning, I called the guy and said i'd take it. He said he had 4 calls already on it and someone was going to his house for 5 to pick it up, I was there at 4 with cash in hand. It started first pull, new coils new points and condensor, I don't think he realized what he had till I told him after exchanging the money that the carbs sell for $100 on ebay. I guess it makes up for the 2x9.5's missed for $50 out in Constance Bay.