Evinrude 25HP Won't go into gear

fishdude123

Cadet
I took the head off and put it all back together but now I can't get it into forward. It will go in nuetral and reverse. Does this sound like the shift alignment or the spline not lining up? I am assuming it is the shift lever assembly mis-alignmed. If you happen to have a picture that shows how this is supposed to be done could you please post it?
Thanks.

blk98gt

Seaman
Re: Evinrude 25HP Won't go into gear

We had this problem when we took the lower unit off. It was the shift alignment. We had to take the lower back off and bend open the little coupler that holds the top and bottom shift linkage.

kbait

Commander

what year/model?

fishdude123

Cadet

It is a 1983 model without electronic ignition. (I don't remember the model number.)

Elbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If it shifted ok before the head removel.I would think its the shift linkage.One way to check it is,If I got this right.If you start it ,nuetral will be foward and reverse will be nuetral.If thats the case,The shift lever is out of sinc.Sounds like maybe the lower unit was in forward and the shifter was in nuetral when put to back togather.Sounds like one was in and one was out.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

try turning the prop when shifting, so the clutch dog can line up.

kbait

Commander

I'd pull the lower unit and check it's shift function,, turning prop and pulling up and down on shift shaft. Then I'd inspect the shifting function from the shift handle to the shaft coupler. Something's amiss...

fishdude123

Cadet

Thanks for all your help!
My brother-in-law mislead me.
Seems it will go into gear but wants to die when revved.
This whole thing was started when the motor fell of the back of the boat and broke the pan. When this happened the plastic covers on the magneto or whatever that piece that the spark plug ties into was torn. The motor started just fine but coudl this have something to do with it not wanting to run now?