Possibly a Carb issue?

boondox813

Cadet
hello everyone baught a boat 2-4 months ago been doing some minor engine work (replaced spark plugs,spark plug wires, 3-carb rebuild kits, re-routed the tell tale) took the boat out for the first time yesterday (the boat had been sitting for 3-4 years) the boats is a 15.1' 1987 procraft 1510 with a 1985 Evinrude E70TLCO took the boat out yesterday for the first time . . the boats cranks the first time every time . . smokes a bit but its kinda expected from a two stroke and its not ALOT . . boat runs in-gear but only at idle speed ive noticed the cable linkage from the throttle box to the motor is jacked up pretty bad . . assuming this is the same linkage for the fast idle that is . . . and when i manually give the boat more gas it kinda drowns out and stalls . . im hoping this is just bad calibration of the carburators but for now am at a loss i read a few threads about compression and timing and what not but not 100% confident in mechanical skills of that calibur not to mention i do not believe that that could be the source of my issue . . any help would be appreciated and thank you in advanced

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Possibly a Carb issue?

If you do not have one already, buy a manual. If you do have a manual, find the section that deals with a link and synch. As the name implies, you need to link and synch the carburetors and spark. It is a step by step procedure that is usually different for each motor. Just follow the step by step instructions.

boondox813

Cadet

good deal will check that out when i get home . . is this a common issue after carb rebuilds? will update my status after i have check the linkage thanks again

lovemywife

Seaman Apprentice

I would add, due to the fact the boat sat for so long replace all fuel lines from tank to carbs to include the primer ball

boondox813

Cadet

yeah i replaced all the fuel lines (bulb included) even the fuel lines connecting the 3 carbs together . I did remove all the jets and cleaned them also . . purchased a new fuel tank and cleaned the fuel filter im hoping replacing the throttle cable will do the trick since its warped and falling apart im just trying to avoid the big repair bill from the shop

diastiss

Seaman Apprentice

i had this issue after i just bought my boat and ran it for the first time. it was sitting in a drive way for months before i purchased it, per previous owner. i had to pull the carbs, i have the johnson repair manual for my specific motor, and give them a thorough cleaning, with good carb cleaner. the answer to my problem was the cleaning of the high speed jet. it was buggered up good. just make sure you get every nook and worm holes in the carbs cleaned out good :cool: