Johnson 2004, 140 Hp, mercury tilt switch

islander12

Cadet
I am have a terrible time starting my motor. Typically leave it tilted out the water after use. Next use it will just not start. Occasionally it fires right away, other times I can wait ten minutes and on other occasions all day. I have been told that it is the mercury tilt switch??? Any ideas on how to remove this?
I am on the chesapeake bay and rock fish season is here.....!

Elbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Johnson 2004, 140 Hp, mercury tilt switch

You mite go over to the Merc forum.Your over my head.Way to new of an engine for me.

Elbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry I miss read it.A mercury tilt switch.Would that mean it stops if you hit a wave? I wouldn't think so.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

There is not one to my knowledge ,only on the older Mercury motors. You have the Johnzuki motor and sounds like a fuel problem. If you are using ethanol blended fuel the needle could be sticking in the VST not allowing fuel into tank when trimmed up. Bulb would pump up and stay hard as fuel could not enter tank. Do you hear the fuel pump run when you just turn key on?

islander12

Cadet

Thanks for replies: No, not fuel related, the starter doesn't crank. It is the mercury switch, just need to know how to disable it.

islander12

Cadet

and meant to add, yes can hear the fuel pump buzzing when the key is turned.

islander12

Cadet

Topping this discussion, hoping there is Johnson expert who can advise?

reeldutch

Lieutenant

the trim limit switch prevents the motor from starting when its tilted up.
when its tilted down doesn crank at all?
or does it once in a while?
you know i believe you just could have a bad ecm ground
the ecm knows when you want to start the motor and grounds the solenoid to crank the starter.
if you have a bad ground it stops right there
that could be intermittend. loose or dirty.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I hate to disagree but engine does not have one!! The tilt limit and ECM has nothing to do with starter, you most likely has a neutral safety switch sticking or out of adjustment in remote control. It also could be a bad/loose connection on starter relay or bad relay. If needed can post the diagram and troubleshooting flow chart for that engine:D

islander12

Cadet

Fatzbullet, please post the diagram, I believe that you are close to the truth. the reason is I have been able to get the starter to react with the motor fully tilted. Not suggesting that I ran the motor like that though!

I have a technical guy coming over next week, but would prefer to avoid the expense.