how start a evinrude jet on land

four m

Cadet
i got a 60hp evinrude with jet drive v-4 its a 90hp power head but the named it a 60 hp because it looses 30 hp at the jet. can this motor be ran some how out of water like some kind of a flush hook up. i dont see no hose. i think there a water pump that runs drive shaft? so i dont think i can start it up like a jet ski just for a few minutes. any body that knows about this i need your advise

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander
Re: how start a evinrude jet on land

I don't know the answer, but can assure you the water pump is the same between a jet and a regular leg. I have a jet in my garage that I've never used but have it apart to do the water pump. The water pump looks identical and I'm told it's the same part number.

Don't try it until you figure out how. Somehow I don't think a garbage can would work.

Elbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Leave it in nuetral and stick it in a tank of water.Be sure to keep the water over the intake.If it blows the water out of the tank leave the hose on.A big trash can or get a plastic barrel and cut it to fit your height.

SKEETR

Chief Petty Officer

Is it an inboard jet or outboard???
If outboard use the tank method.
If inboard there is no water pump on your turbojet. Water is fed to the engine via a port just behind the impeller(prop). If you unclamp the jet pump housing you will see a port at 12 oclock. There is a flushing adaptor that slides in there and attaches to a garden hose. However care must be taken as inside the pump housing there is a 20psi check valve that is bypassed when accessing this port for flushing. Do not run the hose on full house pressure or you will force water into the lower cylinders.

marsingbob

Recruit

Really, the answer is no. There is no "neutral" on a jet--the impellor is directly connected to the drive shaft. You could try to set the reverse gate between open and reverse, but it is not going to work well unless you have a BIG water container.

It is possible to add a hose connection to many jet units to flush the motor, but it is more work and expense than you want to go to for test purposes.

Hook the motor on a boat and back it into the water on a trailer at a launch ramp.

four m

Cadet

Is it an inboard jet or outboard???
If outboard use the tank method.
If inboard there is no water pump on your turbojet. Water is fed to the engine via a port just behind the impeller(prop). If you unclamp the jet pump housing you will see a port at 12 oclock. There is a flushing adaptor that slides in there and attaches to a garden hose. However care must be taken as inside the pump housing there is a 20psi check valve that is bypassed when accessing this port for flushing. Do not run the hose on full house pressure or you will force water into the lower cylinders.

Its a v4 outboard i picked up cheap no compression on #4 cyl hope its a head gasket.just thinking ahead to how iam gona start it on land .dont have a spare boat to put it on to take it to lake just to start it and work on it.just started researching jet lower units my first one.you would think there would be a flush hose adapter like a jet ski.:rolleyes:

four m

Cadet

I think Iam gona take the pump off because I will need to put a new impeller in anyway.then I will just hose clamp a hose to the water pick up and run it that way.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

livestock trough?