How many pole is my motor?

parrisw

Ensign
I got a 84 Johnson 115hp, I'm trying to get the tach working and don't know how many pole the alt is? Could someone please tell me. Thanks.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: How many pole is my motor?

12 pole. Set the Tach switch on back to 6 pulse.

parrisw

Ensign

Ok, its all hooked up correctly. There is no setting for 6 pulse? But settings for the correct amount of poles, its at 12 pole. Now it didn't work, but I noticed when under the dash that the c clamp that holds the gauge in the dash, it bolts down on two studs one stud being the B+ and the other being light B+, and the ground stud goes through a hole in the clamp, and noticed that it was touching the clamp, that cant be good, since that clamp also touches the B+ terminal, so I drilled the hole bigger, and now the tach works. Its slow to respond and sticks high sometimes, but maybe its just sticky from not being used in years, maybe it'll free up!

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

Good that you got it working. The small dab of grease that lubes the needle spindle has probably dried up. It may loosen up, but if it doesn't, there may be a way to take the tach apart and clean/lube the spindle. The innards are delicate so take care not to be too ham fisted.

parrisw

Ensign

Good that you got it working. The small dab of grease that lubes the needle spindle has probably dried up. It may loosen up, but if it doesn't, there may be a way to take the tach apart and clean/lube the spindle. The innards are delicate so take care not to be too ham fisted.

Thanks. Ya I was thinking of taking it apart and cleaning it up.