evinrude junior wont start!!

brewyn

Cadet
Afternoon all.
could anyone give me any suggestions please, I'm at the end of my teather.
This little engine wont start.

There is a good spark as It's been tested. has a new spark plug.
The carbureter has been completely cleaned out and all pins are ok.
The petrol/oil mixture is getting through.
There appears to be compression.

It will only fire up If neat oil is put directly into the chamber, and then stops once the oil has burned up.

Any Idea's would be great as we really wanted to get out on It while the kids are off for half term and were all feeling a bit dissapointed.

cheers.

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer
Re: evinrude junior wont start!!

It will only fire up If neat oil is put directly into the chamber

I don't know what neat oil is or how you are putting it into the chamber. Better to spray some fuel/oil mixture into the carburetor throat.

There appears to be a problem with fuel supply. How do you know the fuel/oil mixture is getting through? If you disassembled and cleaned the carbs, did you set the idle (pilot) mixture screw to the proper position (number of turns out from bottom)?

What is the year and model # of your motor?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

If it has a good spark then you either have no fuel getting to the carb or it is not as clean as you think or the compression is not as good as you think

If when you say oil in the chamber you really do mean oil and into combustion chamber then it suggests that poor compression due to bad rings may be the trouble.

Try spraying fuel mix into the carb air intake. If the compression is Ok but you just have a carb/fuel problem then it should fire up.

Test the compression with a tester.

brewyn

Cadet

Hi oldrude dude.

my father in law is x AA and he has been helping me to try fix this.
He added several drops of duck oil straight into where the spark plug goes.

We expect the fuel is getting through as It's reaching the spark plug.

and unfortunatly "no", I didn't adjust the idle screw, I just screwed it back in??

I put all the model details on my other post but I will re-add the details here.

thanks.

brewyn

Cadet

Yes!!I do mean oil into the combustion chamber, it is only then will it fire up.
I cleaned the carburetor myself, soaked every brass fitting, polished them down, checked air flow through them by blowing, I checked the float by turning carburetor upside down etc and blowing through the fuel line, could blow when in correct position but now when upside down.

been advised by my local dealer that for what he will charge I could get a new one..either way It's not affordable so need to try fix myself.

my father in law said that by putting oil in the combustion chamber would create a better seal?? and he seems to be correct, it does respond untill the oil has burned away. but he's not familiar with outboard engine's, only cars.

cheers

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Carb adjustment instructions are HERE

Oil in the combustion chamber when the rings are bad is an old trick. The fact that it does enable it to run briefly does suggest poor compression but we don't know that for sure until you test it with a compression tester.

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

OK, now I understand what you are doing with the oil. That is an old method used to start engines with dry or worn cylinders.

and unfortunatly "no", I didn't adjust the idle screw, I just screwed it back in??

Did you return the idle mixture screw to its original position or did you screw it into bottom? According to my records, the default setting for the idle mixture screw should be 1-1 1/2 turns out from bottom. Start with that.

brewyn

Cadet

Could you tell me which one is the idle screw please.

There are two screws on the front of the carburetor, The top one is covered by a small black cap.

There is also a long brass screw thing inside the carb, does this need to be adjusted?

Thanks for taking the time to help us.:)

Elbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What wear model and hp are you working on?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Okay I suppose this is the 1989 model I identified for you a week or so ago
but other peeps don't know that!

The top screw (#15) is the idle mixture and the bottom one (#23) is the high speed mixture.

CARB DIAGRAM

Follow the instructions for the initial settings and then the adjustments if you get it running in the link I gave earlier

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I would test compression and spray fuel oil mix in the carb and the only other thing I could think of if it's not fuel related is that the plug is firing at the wrong time. Not sure if it's possible on that model.

brewyn

Cadet

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll crack on with it again tommorrow and let you know how I go on.

atleast now I know what the screws are for.

cheers

Tony.:):)

Elbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pull the flywheel and check the shear key.Woodruff key.If you got compression it should run.If its fireing on oil thats wierd to me.Diesels do that.