Anyone make their own spark plug wires?

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer
I want to replace the spark plug wires on my motor and ordered the kit, but it didn't come with terminals that can be bent to 90 degrees. The current wires have a coiled, wire terminal under the boot that has a piercing spike to poke thru the wire. Can this be reused? I have made a lot of custom spark plug wire sets for automotive apps but never for marine, and was wondering if there was a consensus on whether these coil-type terminals are ok, or not the preferred type.

lindy46

Captain
Re: Anyone make their own spark plug wires?

Yup - I re-use them all the time when I change wires. They can be a bear to feed through the boots, so I put some oil on the boots so they slide through.

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

Yup - I re-use them all the time when I change wires. They can be a bear to feed through the boots, so I put some oil on the boots so they slide through.

On the one I fixed I fed the wire through the boot first, put the connector on, then pulled it back through the boot. Worked ok, but I would prefer to have the crimp style.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Original equipment was the coiled spring type. Correct procedure it to strip 1/8" insulation off the end of the wire and spread out the strands. Then pierce the wire with the point. The stranded wires should touch the spring for an assured contact. Then put a drop of oil on the spring and push it into the boot. Actually it is easy to push in with the oil lube.

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

all though oil is ok to use.i have found that if you use carb cleaner sprayed into the boot the carb cleaner will dry up and the wire will be held in much tighter.witch is better for future plug changes.