Servicing remote cables

Deanrt

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all, I have a '65 16.5ft Larson with a '76 35hp Evinrude. This is the first boat I've owned that has forward steering and controls. Anyhoo, its not really a "problem yet" but the shift cable is quite a bear to use. It shifts but its just hard to move forward or reverse. Is there any way to lube these. I can shift it by hand on the motor and it doesn't seem to hard there. Which makes me think the cable needs some attention. Any ideas? Thank, Dean

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Servicing remote cables

Might want to check if there is an adjustment on the control box somewhere to loosen that. I know mine has a small knob right below the key that allows adjustment of how tight it is to move the handle, etc, and I think it;s there so you can let go and it wont move once you're underway. I couldn't tell you how to lube the cable though, and I would like to know as well, since mine could probably use it.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

There really is no easy way to lube the cables effectively. Most times when they stiffen up, it time to replace them. They are cheap enough and it's really a safety issue if left alone.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There really is no easy way to lube the cables effectively. Most times when they stiffen up, it time to replace them. They are cheap enough and it's really a safety issue if left alone.

Agreed, you can dink around with it and might get lucky, but best is just replace the durn thing. Make sure the replacement is long enough. Too-tight bends will make them stiff.

lindy46

Captain

Replace them. If you have the old 2-lever control and continue to use the hard-shifting cables, you will eventually snap the nylon bushing in the control where the cable attaches. Ask me how I know:(

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

There is a method I have used for lubing motorcycle cables. If you disconnect both ends of the cable, you can make a funnel around the end of the cable housing and dump in your favourite liquid lube. You can make the funnel out of duct tape or Plasticine modelling clay. Move the cable back and forth in the housing to work the lube into the housing. Do this until lube drips out the other end. This will work if the cable is just dry. If moisture has gotten in and corroded the cable and housing, or if the cable has worn through the inner lining of the cable housing, better replace.