repair the speedometer on an outboard

miamimia

Recruit
My speedometer does not work. I read and found out it works with pressure and the inlet port could be blocked. I need to find out where the inlet is. I need to troubleshoot this, I want to fix it myself.

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: repair the speedometer on an outboard

Look for a tiny hole along the front edge of the foot. Disconnect the speedometer line at a convention point along the line. Hopefully you have a hose coupler aroung the motor mount give or take a foot or two. See if air passes down thru the hole in the foot. If so, troubleshoot the other direction.

I know mine is plugged. I bump a log last time out. Dug some wood (rotten) out of it while on the water, but it's still blocked.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Some speedos pick up pressure from a pick up on the transom of the boat. Some pick up the pressure from the gearcase of the outboard.

miamimia

Recruit

I just bought the boat the fuel gauge and the speedometer do not work. The volt, tach and trim gauge work and when I turn on the gauge lights they light up. What can I do/

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I just bought the boat the fuel gauge and the speedometer do not work. The volt, tach and trim gauge work and when I turn on the gauge lights they light up. What can I do/

The fuel gauge is electrical. You have to look for a wire fault.

The speedometer is not electrical and is in no way related to the fuel gauge problem. As already said several times, it works on water pressure from the boat moving thorugh the water. The pick-up tube is called a pitot. It may be like a finger pointing down into the water at the transom, or it may be built into the lower unit of the motor. Whichever it is, you have to find it and figure out why there is no water pressure. Could be plugged up, or the hose could be broken or disconnected.

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class

The speedometer is a very easy thing to troubleshoot. Start from the back of the speedometer. You will see a black hose about 1/4 inch in diameter. Pull it off the back of the speedometer. It might be on good so pull it straight back (no sideways) and pull hard. Try to blow air through the hose to clear it. If you can't get any air through, trace the hose back to the transom of the boat. It will either be connected to the motor or it will be connected to a pitot assembly screwed on to the bottom of the transom. Clear the obstruction.

If you want to see if the speedometer gauge is actually working, remove it from the dash. Stand in front of mirror and blow with your mouth into the inlet on the back of the speedometer. You should see the needle move a bit. If it does not move, then the speedo may be defective.

Speedometers are a lot of trouble if you leave your boat in the water for extended periods of time. The inlet hole is always getting clogged with marine growth.