1972 Evinrude 25HP - Very hard to pull

Elbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1972 Evinrude 25HP - Very hard to pull

Spark it the next thing to look at.Be Sure you have a good spark across the plug gap.Heres what I have run into.Mine has a single coil to fire both cylinders.The coil at shop evinrude shows the same one for the double coil system. my coil has two wires, going to each set of points.Maybe the drawing is wrong,but I haven't checked the part # yet.Im still working on mine also.Good luck

coolguy147

Commander

trying pulling a 1958 35hp.... almost 3 inches of bore:eek:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The guy at West Marine gave me the NGK equivalent of the Champion J6C and said it was as good or better. One of the spark plugs that was in there before was definitely getting hammered by the piston or something because I reset the gap several times and it kept getting smaller. The new plugs are shorter so this shouldn't be a problem going forward. I set the gaps and swapped the new ones in, along with fresh gas mix. Still nothing, seems like no spark or maybe no fuel getting to the cylinders. I did pull it several times without the plugs in to disperse some of the oil. But something is still not right. Just to make sure I'm doing this correctly, here is my procedure:

1. Shift lever in neutral
2. Throttle on start
3. Choke out
4. Fuel primed
5. Muscle out the pull cord a few times

If one of the JC4s was gettng bumped you have a problem might just be excessive carbon but could be serious internal problems.Pull the plugs use a screw driver to feel the piston movement if it delays at the top of the stroke as you continue to rotate the flywheel indicates a loose bearing.Compare both pistons.If you rock the flywheel you may be able to hear it rattle.