Water pump question....

bblade

Recruit
I have a 1989 200hp evinrude on my 20' Stratos. I replaced the water inlet screen under the water pump. After checking out the water pump for damage, I put everything back together and sarted the motor. It ran fine but no water was being discharged out of the engine. I then noticed that I had forgoten to put in the little plastic impeller key. Is that the reason the water pump ins't working? And if so can someone tell me were the little key goes. I looked it up on the evinrude gearcase diagram, but it does not show exactly were it goes. Can someone please help????:confused::confused:

stingertrey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Water pump question....

Have never worked on this motor but makes perfect sense as to why the water pump isnt pumping bc the impeller prolly isnt being turned at all

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer

I then noticed that I had forgoten to put in the little plastic impeller key. Is that the reason the water pump ins't working? And if so can someone tell me were the little key goes. I looked it up on the evinrude gearcase diagram, but it does not show exactly were it goes. Can someone please help????:confused::confused:

Align the slot on the drive shaft with the slot on the inside of the impeller ... the key then locks them together:

Attachments

• Water pump.jpg
    Water pump.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 0

bblade

Recruit

That makes perfect sense. Thank you very much for your fast reply...:):)

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer

bblade said:
I put everything back together like the diagram shows, but I'm still not getting any water discharge when the motors running. I used a small amount of marine grease around the water pump impeller to help it turn better. Could that be an issue? Or maybe I'm not tourqeing down the water pump at the right specs and it's to tight. I did put the plastic key into the slot on the rubber impeller. I'm putting the big O ring inside the groove under the water pump housing, and the small O ring on top of the metal case of the rubber impeller. Is this correct? Everything worked fine before I took it apart, so I know it does work. Please help me with any info you can. Thank you very much..

Grease on the impeller is a good thing ...

Sounds like you assembled the pump correctly ...

Did you remove the water tube from the mid section when you dropped the gear case?

Generally, if the pump isn't the problem, then the other reasons that can cause water to not make it to the motor (and out the tell tale) are:

• water tube damaged
  • water tube not properly aligned with grommet in water pump housing or the one at the top that feeds into the engine block (see images below)

Attachments

• Water pump.jpg
    Water pump.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Water pump (top).jpg
    Water pump (top).jpg
    20 KB · Views: 0