5.5 rude help... this thing is killin me

stingertrey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 5.5 rude help... this thing is killin me

And it never locks completely up, just gets really really hard and the flywheel and motor still have some play until something makes it hard. bc i pulled the head and wiggled the flywheel back and forth and for about half an inch both ways both pistons move like butter but then something catches and it instantly gets hard to continue turning over.. we'll find it soon thanks for all of your help

freddyray21

Commander

there is not a lot of clearance in the rod cap and the crankcase housing so if it's loose it will brush against the housing. Take the carb and intake off and it will at least let you partially see the rod caps and you can feel if one is loose.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

And it never locks completely up, just gets really really hard and the flywheel and motor still have some play until something makes it hard. bc i pulled the head and wiggled the flywheel back and forth and for about half an inch both ways both pistons move like butter but then something catches and it instantly gets hard to continue turning over.. we'll find it soon thanks for all of your help

The more you describe the situation, the more I tend to agree with the rod bolts theory. If that is correct, it will get worse---very quickly and catastrophic.

stingertrey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok well I'll prolly be doing these things all day.. And I will find the problem.. If I dont Im gonna lose my mind

can u put a picture of ur motor on here im kinda curious if my motors a 5.5 or 6 hp if not no big deal. and i hear you when u said u have seen ur motot inside and out, i'v tore into mine tryn to learn about it

stingertrey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok been greased up since about 4 a clock messin with it.. pulled the power head from the leg and it instantly free'd up and turned like it should.. stuck a pair of plyers on the shaft and could barely turn it over.. swapped the lower unit with my other one.. Spins perfect now.. cant crank it yet.. have to put some gear oil in it.. F R is a genius.. THANKs

Elbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You don't have to remove the power head,Once the lower unit is down,the drive shaft is in the lower unit,thepower head is free to run without turning anything else.

Elbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mine is a 65 tho.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

You don't have to remove the power head,Once the lower unit is down,the drive shaft is in the lower unit,thepower head is free to run without turning anything else.

He can't drop the geacase on his motor without pulling the powerhead - there is no link in the shift rod on the 5.5hp OMC motors, so it has to be disconnected at the internal end of the gearshift handle. You can not do that without removing the powerhead.

???

stingertrey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think hes right though.. when you unscrew the lower unit from the leg it will drop down an inch or so when you put it into reverse and thats enough room to probably disconnect the shafts of the engine and lower unit allowing it to spin free like he said

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

That might be true - I can't say because I have never tried it. The question becomes whether or not the inch or less of travel that is likely to be present, would be enough to get the top end of the driveshaft out of the receptacle in the bottom of the crankshaft. Even if it would, I certainly would not attempt to start the motor in this condition. I think that the best that you could do is to rotate the flywheel by hand to see if anything tightens up. Whether or not that would reveal the problem that the OP is having, is unknown.

Another issue in my mind, is the crankshaft seal assembly that sits at the top of the drive shaft. This assembly must remain in place, so that a proper seal is assured upon reinsertion of the driveshaft into the bottom of the crank. Turning the crank via running the motor or just turning the flywheel, might not be a good idea, because it might dislodge parts of that assembly.

Just my opinion, but this is not something that I would do.

???

stingertrey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh yea I definitely wouldnt crank it this way just spin it by hand by the flywheel to see if the motor frees up and isolates my problem of it being tight from the lower unit or the powerhead.. but all is fixed now.. Got her pumping water right.. Thermostat Was clogged OUT OF CONTROL with junk.. cleaned it.. let it idle for about 10 min and I could hold my hand on the head and not burn.. runs cool.. starts first or 2nd pull.. I'll post a vid on youtube soon to show the ppl of iboats what they have done for me thanks everyone. especially to F R, Tashasdaddy, and Jbjennings.. they have so much knowledge its crazy..

Elbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its not a job.Its a quest!