5.5 rude help... this thing is killin me

stingertrey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok to everyone that has helped me thus far. thank you.. Motor is pumping water fine now.. lots of water.. BUT BUT BUT now i crank it and it runs for about 10-20 sec. and stops and the motor feels like its trying to cease up.. like its hard to pull... hard to grab the flywheel and spin it manually. and if i pull it and it starts again.. it stops fast within 5 sec.. and gradually gets harder.. why would this thing do this????? cylinder walls look fine.. not scratched or messed up.. pistons look ok lil black on top thats it.. would the wrong kind of oil make this hapen? im running outboard 2-cycle marine oil tcw-3.. mixed 24:1.... so confused. thanks for your help again in advance

stingertrey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 5.5 rude help... this thing is killin me

I mean on the first pull the thing fires up like a dream... pulls easy.. cranks so fast... but then it feels like its trying to cease up.. Im so confused

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I mean on the first pull the thing fires up like a dream... pulls easy.. cranks so fast... but then it feels like its trying to cease up.. Im so confused

Broken spring in the shock absorber shaft in the lower unit.

Attachments

• Shock absorber operation iboats.jpg
    Shock absorber operation iboats.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 1

EN2

Chief Petty Officer

It sounds like the spring in the drive shaft has broken.

stingertrey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

even if the motor was in nuetral this would be a problem?? and how sure are you of this.. This would cause the motor to start and run then feel like its wanting to cease up and shut off????

stingertrey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok thats two of you now saying this. the diagram was helpful f r.. Please explain to me how this spring works and how it would cause this motor to feel this way? still learning.. I swear by the end of this I will have seen this motor inside and out everyway lol... Like the knowledge but would rather read about this problem than have it lol

stingertrey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the motor will actually LOCK up.. I wiggle the fly wheel.. back and forth and it breaks loose like nothing ever happened...

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Ok thats two of you now saying this. the diagram was helpful f r.. Please explain to me how this spring works and how it would cause this motor to feel this way? still learning.. I swear by the end of this I will have seen this motor inside and out everyway lol... Like the knowledge but would rather read about this problem than have it lol

Can I guarantee you that this is the problem?? No. But in all probability, is it the problem? Yes. Is it common? You betcha.

As the drawing shows, there is a heavy spring inside the shock absorber. The fat part of the shock absorber is actually two pieces with the spring inside. When you run over a rock, the spring winds up and releases the drive. When you are back in clear water, the spring relaxes and you have drive again.

The problem happens when the spring breaks. Then the broken ends ride up on each other and force the two sections of the shock absorber apart. When that happens, the assembly is too long to fit in the space it is allowed inside the gearcase. That locks it up.

The telltale symptom when you take it apart is the lower end of the bearing plate under the water pump will show extreme wear and heat damage from the shock absorber rubbing so hard on it.

There is no cure for the broken shock absorber except to replace it. They are no longer made, so look for a used one (make sure it isn't broken too) or try www.sea-way.com The part number is 376073, pinion shaft and shock absorber assy.

stingertrey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok so Where exactly is this spring located? below the impeller? or where lol... and This will lock the motor up completely??? in nuetral?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Ok so Where exactly is this spring located? below the impeller? or where lol... and This will lock the motor up completely??? in nuetral?

Remove the water pump.
Remove the stainless steel plate below the water pump.
Remove the bearing housing below that.

The shock absorber is down inside the gearcase below the bearing housing. Grab it with a pair of needle nose pliers and simply pull it out.

The shock absorber rotates any time the motor is rotating. Gearshift has nothing to do with it. It can lock it up very tight, or sorta tight, or a little bit. Depends on how lucky you are, I reckon.

freddyray21

Commander

if this is the same 63 Evinrude you are talking about in your other posts it does not have a lower unit with the spring shock absorber. Those motors have a habit of the rod cap bolts coming loose and that I think is your problem. Pull the powerhead and separate the halves and I think you will find the rod caps loose. Keep running it like you are and it will come completely loose and throw a rod through the block.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

if this is the same 63 Evinrude you are talking about in your other posts it does not have a lower unit with the spring shock absorber. Those motors have a habit of the rod cap bolts coming loose and that I think is your problem. Pull the powerhead and separate the halves and I think you will find the rod caps loose. Keep running it like you are and it will come completely loose and throw a rod through the block.

freddyray brings up a good point. But first, are we talking about something other than a stock 5.5hp? Because all 5.5hps have the shock absorber. It continued to be used at least up to the 1965 6hp, which I "think" was the last one.

However, we are sort of assuming what the trouble is. Whenever I hear tight 5.5, I automatically think shock absorber. But that by no means is the only thing that might be wrong. Certainly, it could be a loose rod bolt. It can also be something that came loose under the flywheel. Or other things. A better inspection and diagnosis is in order before jumping to conclusions.

stingertrey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1963 evinrude 5.5 is what we are talking about.. all original motor.. rod bolt being loose would cause this? and I have another lower unit at my disposal off of a earlier model 59 or 60 but its compatble i think and I will just swap the two out and see what happens

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Have you ever had the flywheel off the motor? I didn't read the previous post so I don't know.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Ah , so going back through your posts you replaced the coils, got big blue spark as you stated but never actually got this thing running until now. Pull that flywheel and check for binding on the flywheel/coils/mag plate that you were in servicing. Is it binding at idle or as you rev it up?

freddyray21

Commander

1963 evinrude 5.5 is what we are talking about.. all original motor.. rod bolt being loose would cause this? and I have another lower unit at my disposal off of a earlier model 59 or 60 but its compatble i think and I will just swap the two out and see what happens

if you swap out the lowers and it is a rod bolt like I think you will most likely throw the rod through the block. Your call.

Elbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Why not pull the lower unit and try to crank it.If you are only running it for a min. or less,that should tell you if its rod bearings or not.Before you split the case.

Elbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One other thing.You have to tie a special not in that spool starter rope.If not your flywheel will drag on it.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Your lower units should all be interchangeable from '56 to '63 The ones prior to '56 could possibly work too.:cool:

stingertrey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok its definitely not the knot idea bc I pulled the whole starter assembly off and the fly wheel was still acting up. And the flywheel definitely isnt binding on the coils or the plate assembly bc that would try to spin with the motor and its not.. And Im leaning toward the lower unit rod bolt idea.. I would like to crank the motor with the lower unit off.. decent idea except when you remove the lower unit you have to completely remove the power head to.. would have to find a way to mount it.. And I'll get this thing going good eventually.