evinrude 2005 90 e-tech tacho not working.

Paul 44

Recruit
The tachometer on my 90 e-tech has stopped working.
The engine starting lamp sequence is working so assume volts getting to guage. Have checked connection on back of tachometer and they seem tight and ok. Where should I look next? Does the tacho get its signal from the engine management electronics block? If so does it mean a replacement of this item, it looks expensive, can you get a service/exchange.
Where do I go next??
Any advice gratefully received.

Paul.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: evinrude 2005 90 e-tech tacho not working.

Paul, I have a shop manual for my '07 175 E-Tecs and it has the following info for tach tests:
a) With engine not running, but key sw ON
Connect a meter at the tach to the purple wire and the black wire. If less than nominal battery voltage, go to step 'b'.

check the purple, red/purple, and black wiring circuits, fuse, key sw, and battery connections.

b) This step requires a Fluke 29 or equal meter with a frequency function. Disconnect gray and black leads at tach and connect to external Fluke meter. With motor running @ 1000 RPM, meter should read 90 to 105 Hz. If it does, replace tach.

If meter reads low or no signal, confirm output on gray wire at pin 16 of EMM J1-A connector.
- Reading OK, Check condition of tach pulse wire - gray. Reair as needed.
- Reading not OK - Check connection at EMM; replace faulty EMM

I assume your motor is the same or similar. I don't think the tach is serviceable.