1962 evinrude 18hp - flooded so bad gas drips out exhaust

JKTrevecca

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I finally decided on a boat and purchased it yesterday after the seller took me and the boat to the lake and he demonstrated the boat for me. It's a 1962 14 foot duracraft aluminum boat with a 1962 18hp evinrude fastwin.

The seller started it from cold and it started on the second pull. Ran great at the lake yesterday.

Today, I tried to start it using the cold start procedure, and ended up flooding the engine so bad that fuel was dripping from the exhaust. I pulled the plugs, cleaned them with a propane torch to get em dry. Replaced the plugs and still no fire. I checked the spark and have good solid blue spark.

What can I do to get this thing started after it has been flooded so bad? Here is my starting procedure.
1. connect fuel line.
2. open vent on gas tank
3. squeeze bulb 2-3 times until there is resistence.
4. pull choke
5. make sure motor is in neutral and throttle is in start position
6. pull like heck....

This is my first boat and the first time I've been around outboards as an owner. I never realized that it can be so picky...

Right now, I am letting it sit with the plugs out overnight so the fuel can dry up and I will try again tomorrow. Please help!! I just want to use this boat that I just purchased. :confused::confused:

moonfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1962 evinrude 18hp - flooded so bad gas drips out exhaust

After a couple of pulls and no start, I push the choke in and pull a couple of times. Maybe back off the fast idle next. Probably pull the choke out if that doesn't work but say if you really do flood it, you want the choke off so it can't draw so much fuel. You need gas for it to run, I don't think that is a big deal to have a few dribbles. You just need to figure out the ritual.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I finally decided on a boat and purchased it yesterday after the seller took me and the boat to the lake and he demonstrated the boat for me. It's a 1962 14 foot duracraft aluminum boat with a 1962 18hp evinrude fastwin.

The seller started it from cold and it started on the second pull. Ran great at the lake yesterday.

Today, I tried to start it using the cold start procedure, and ended up flooding the engine so bad that fuel was dripping from the exhaust. I pulled the plugs, cleaned them with a propane torch to get em dry. Replaced the plugs and still no fire. I checked the spark and have good solid blue spark.

What can I do to get this thing started after it has been flooded so bad? Here is my starting procedure.
1. connect fuel line.
2. open vent on gas tank
3. squeeze bulb 2-3 times until there is resistence.
4. pull choke
5. make sure motor is in neutral and throttle is in start position
6. pull like heck....

This is my first boat and the first time I've been around outboards as an owner. I never realized that it can be so picky...

Right now, I am letting it sit with the plugs out overnight so the fuel can dry up and I will try again tomorrow. Please help!! I just want to use this boat that I just purchased. :confused::confused:

Everything you have written indicates that there should be no problem. With no problem, there should be no cure needed. However, there obviously must be a problem or you wouldn't be asking. Dang if I know what it is though.

But here are the facts: It should start as you say you are doing. And even if it were hopelessly flooded, it should start after three or four pulls with the throttle in the start position and choke off----IF the cause of the flooding is found and fixed. Drying the plugs is fixing the symptom, not the cause.

Bottom line, it should not be picky. Either there is something wrong with it, or you are doing something wrong.

BTW, the correct start position is not with the twist grip pointing to "start". The correct start position is with it in neutral, turn the twist grip as far toward "Fast" as it will go. It will only go to the start position in neutral. The lettering is rarely accurate.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Yep, the Start mark on the throttle is just a guide/reference mark...throttles get sloppy with age. I do everything you did when starting my 58 Johnson FD, but I roll the throttle all the way to Fast as FR describes. It usually kicks and goes on the 2nd pull...let it run a few seconds then release the choke. Takes awhile to get the routine down pat but you'll get it.

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you have the opportunity, why don't you ask the original owner how he got it started. I am assuming he got it started easy when it was cold and also when it was warm. Be sure to ask him how he starts it when it is both warm and cold. In an ideal world, these old motors should start using exact procedure you have outlined. But these old 2 cycle motors usually have been modified from norm and now there are little "tricks" to start them when they are both warm and cold. If you don't know those "tricks", it is easy to flood them.

kbait

Commander

Did you check spark w/a tester? Make sure you get 1/4" blue bolts..

jasper60103

Commander

yea, I agree with all of the above. I'm a newbie and it took me a while to get used to my motor this past season. I learned my motor doesn't like too much choke. I pull once or twice with choke. Usually I get a rumble on the first pull. Then I push choke off and it will start the very next pull.
Also, when starting it warm. No choke, and no need to pump the fuel bulb. She fires up on the first pull.

Also, be firm, but gentle. Pulling the rope like the "Incredible Hulk" won't make it start faster.
You'll get it down, then you can brag about your "two pulls cold, one pull hot motor"!

outlaw241

Petty Officer 2nd Class

are you sure it was flooded? if not an it ran fine before,i would look an make sure you got fuel line pointed in the right direction,arrow on squeze bulb should point to engine

stingertrey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep these guys covered it... if u start to smell alot of gas with choke on .. turn it off and pull a few times.. more air less fuel until it starts... picky motors

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

disconnect the fuel line,remove the plugs,pull a few times,put plugs in,dont hook up fuel,dont choke,try starting,if it starts,kill by off button,then hook up fuel,start again and see how it runs,

bhughes

Seaman

I only pull it a couple of times with the choke on. After that, I push the choke back in and pull the rope with the throttle all the way up. I feel like it will flood if I pull it too many times on choke before it cranks.

If it's cold, the throttle needs to be all the way up to start it. Once it's warm, it will start in the idle position.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I would check the condition of the ignition system. Sometimes, these motors get a bit finicky if the coils are aged. I have actually had a few of these hard starters in the past and often times recoditioning the ignition system solves the issue.:cool:

JKTrevecca

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK... Thank you all for the time and advice. I really appreciate all of your help.

I was still unable to get this thing started today. I am pretty frustrated that 2 days ago while at the lake with the seller, it ran so well. Anyway... How would I know if the needle valve in the carb is not seating? Is there a test for that w/o removing the carb? Would the needle valve not seating cause the motor to refuse to start? This boat has had very minimal use for the past year so I wonder if it ran great 2 days ago, but might have coincidentally started having carb gumming issues the day after I purchased it. Who knows how old the gas it... Sounds like my kind of luck!!! :p

I'm hoping to buy a spark tester (been testing w/ the plugs against the block thus far) tomorrow and isolate the issues. Hoping that the issue isn't the user in the mirror.

One more thing.... compression isn't the kind of thing that would go away in 2 days is it? I tested compression today and got 60/80/95 on the first, second, and then the third pull of the starter rope. The readings were the same for the top and bottom can. That seems low to me, but again... it ran great 2 days ago. Any thoughts?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

without removing the carb....hmm. Okay drain all the gas out of the carb and attach a piece of hose, where the fuel inlet hose is. Turn motor upside down and blow into the hose. If you can't blow into it, then the needle is seating properly. Just Kidding......but yes, blowing into where the fuel inlet hooks up, with a hose, is really the only way of testing the float needle, to see if it seats properly. If you don't want to remove the carb, you could actually stand it upside down, on a table to test it. You want to make sure there isn't any water in the lower unit though, so it won't run into the exhaust ports. There's a possibility that your float level could be off a little bit, if you see a little bit of fuel run out the front, as you squeeze the bulb.:cool:

jasper60103

Commander

..., but again... it ran great 2 days ago. Any thoughts?

My thoughts are get the previous owner on the horn. Maybe he can walk you through starting this motor?

Else, start troubleshooting.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

The motor ran fine one day and would start the next. That suggests operator error to me. I agree with the previous comments that you should call the seller and get some advice from him.

BTW, some motors like partial choke on startup. You jsut have to play with it a bit to see what works.

You also don't have to pull the plugs out and go through all sorts of "gyrations" if you flood it. Just let the motor sit for a few minutes and give it less throttle the next time you try to start it.

???

Elbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have one of those.You will be surprised how much fuel it takes to start one of these.If its a flooding problem then make sure.I use a pump type oil can oiler so I can get a strait shot in the carb.A windex type spray bottle will work.Open the choke and put 4or 5 shots in it.See what happens if nothing put a couple of more.What Im saying is don't be afraid to flood it.But you might find something out because you will know for sure its flooded.

Elbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One other thing.Lift the motor so the carb will drain out the throat.Pump the primer.If the needle is not seating gas will pour out the the throat, so you got a carb problem.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

If you have to spray premix in the carb throat to start an outboard on a routine basis, there is something wrong with the motor and/or carb. He should be able to start this motor without having to resort to extraordinary measures.

???

Elbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Then leave the choke on till it hits then close it