how to soup up my '73 25hp johnson

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: how to soup up my '73 25hp johnson

The problem with trying to do it to a clamshell cowling motor is the cylinder heads won't swap over. The 25 head is later style without the "ears" for the cowling supports, plus it has the thermostat which the '57 block won't support. Earliest model you could (easily) do the upgrade to is a '59...

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

yea, good point. I forgot about those features:D

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Power, and speed only depend's on how much you want to spend.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

talked to a knowledgeable guy at a local shop yesterday. He said there are lots of easy mods, but the first thing you MUST do to the 22 ci motor to hotrod it, is go to the megaphone style exhaust. Backpressure through the exh. housing prohibits any gains.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Oh yea. You know how awesome those megaphone style exhaust headers would look on a 1946 Zephyr?:D:D

F_R

Supreme Mariner

talked to a knowledgeable guy at a local shop yesterday. He said there are lots of easy mods, but the first thing you MUST do to the 22 ci motor to hotrod it, is go to the megaphone style exhaust. Backpressure through the exh. housing prohibits any gains.

And put on a "quickie" racing lower unit. That one that comes with the motor is about as streamlined as an old boot.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Sure, if you buy enough parts. Actually, I have already done it. I gained about 2MPH. I'd say it wasn't worth it.

EDIT: But then I replaced the motor with an '84 35hp and it made a huge difference. Now it runs like the proverbial Striped Ape.

That's the best response so far !!!!

Willyclay

Captain

When I was a pup, I found some go-kart tuned exhaust headers that exactly matched the exhaust housing bolt pattern on my 1947 Mercury KD-4(S). The sound was incredible; at least that's what the USCG CPO said when he directed me to "get off his water". Something about races only!

Last edited: