1961 75hp Evinrude Starflite III (now with pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blk98gt

Seaman
Wohoo first post. Down to business now...
First off, I have some car motor knowledge but it's all EFI not carb and not marine.
Got a boat with a V4 1961 75hp Evinrude Starflite III. Unknown when the last time it was used but tags on the trailer point to 1991 :eek: After a lot of frustration got the motor to turn over (missing key). Then we got spark. Then we were having a hard time getting the motor to start. It finally started but any bit of throttle (by hand at the carb) kills the motor. We figured fuel starvation? We checked the fuel pump and it seems to pump well.
MAIN QUESTION:
Am I heading in the right direction to rebuild and clean the carb next?

Compression even all around at 90psi +/-1psi.

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1961 75hp Evinrude Starflite III

I would say "yes" to the main question. It may not need cleaning but it needs to be checked because fuel starvation on a two stroke can seriously compromise the long term health of the engine.

This is a different animal from the automobile engine. Blipping the butterflies on the carbs is not a good way to increase rpm from idle. Use the throttle cable. The linkage between the throttle cable and carb linkage is the ignition timing linkage. When you push the throttle lever forward the first thing that happens is the timing is advanced. The rpm increases. Push the throttle more and the cam on the timing linkage pushes the little roller on the carb linkage to open the butterflies. Use the lever. If you just flick the butterfly linkage it will not rev well.

If you can wrap your head around that, welcome to outboards.

Also don't run it without water even for a few seconds. It will damage the impeller

lindy46

Captain

Yup, clean/rebuild carb and check for strong spark on all cylinders. Those old coils may need replacing.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

That old V4 will have a single ign coil, two sets of points and one condenser. They were usually a magneto system, but some years had a battery powering the coil, like an auto from the 60s. The battery powered ignitions had a external coil, I believe.

Make sure both sets of points are clean and gapped (.020inches) properly. They open 90* apart. You can inspect and adjust thru the window in the distributor pulley, after you remove the cover.

You may use Champion J4C spark plugs gapped at .030.

blk98gt

Seaman

Good to know about the throttle butterfly. Reason we did.'t use the throttle lever is because the throttle/ shift cables are rusted through. I just ordered a new set of cables.
This particular motor does use a megneto. After the carb rebuild I will check the sparks again but they seemed pretty good. The cap and rotor seems new.
I have a PDF manual by the way if anyone needs one from 1958-1972 evinrude engines. My way to contribute to the forums from the get go.
Anyway, here are some pics of the motor. Looks very clean to me for a '61.

More pics here:
http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s228/damian1228/Boat/

2009-10-19155000.jpg

2009-10-19155007.jpg

PA190025.jpg

2009-10-19155142.jpg

blk98gt

Seaman
Re: 1961 75hp Evinrude Starflite III (now with pictures)

One other quick question. Is there an easier way to run the motor other than dipping half of it in a garbage can filled with water? I don't see any hose attachment.

chucko

Cadet

Thats an excellent engine you have there. The magneto system is simple and reliable! If its getting spark, is it getting it through all 4 wires. have you checked the timing? If you want to see if it will run, dump some pre micxed gas down the carbs, and then give a shot of starting spray. If it runs and quits, its fuel. If it dont run at all, or just hits, and backfires, or kicks back, its ignition. The carb and mag as well as fuel pumps are so simple to work on. Good luck.

yorab

Ensign

I've found that the garbage can method works pretty well for my '63 75hp starflite. I keep the water flowing so that the most of the unburned exhaust crud flows out of the can. You can also buy a hose adaptor for that motor, assuming the water intake is in the same location as the '63 model. I'd bet that it is. Don't have the part number for the adaptor, but I'm sure somebody else can get it to you.

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

Sweet looking old motor. Colour me green with envy.;)

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

nice clean motor.just had a complete starflite v given to me yesterday .i quess if yours is a 61 mine being a 5 would be 63.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

That motor appears to have an automatic choke, controlled by hot air or more likely hot water. I would test it to see if it functions properly. If the choke has a manual override, I would employ it until you get her running well, and then mess with it.

blk98gt

Seaman

I did notice the automatic choke but didn't know how it worked. We used the regular choke setting. Didn't see too much water so the water pump needs replacing too. Thank you for complements but it will mean more to me when it runs smooth. Hope the carb rebuild will work.
Cougar, let me know if you need the repair manual for our motors ( 1958-1972 evinrudes). Or anyone for that matter. Everyone here is helpful so I would like to help someone with that too.

freddyray21

Commander

nice high torque motors, but very thirsty on gas.

tigerone

Cadet

Sorry to piggyback off of this forum, but it is so close to what I am working with. I have a Starflite II. How do I find serial number to identify year and model? It is a 75 hp.

Thanks

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I did notice the automatic choke but didn't know how it worked. We used the regular choke setting. Didn't see too much water so the water pump needs replacing too. Thank you for complements but it will mean more to me when it runs smooth. Hope the carb rebuild will work.
Cougar, let me know if you need the repair manual for our motors ( 1958-1972 evinrudes). Or anyone for that matter. Everyone here is helpful so I would like to help someone with that too.
thanks for the offer, i have the manual already.as for the other poster your sin and model should be on the motor by the mounting gimble somewheres.there should be a tag.how do you have yours hooked up to the steering?blk98gt can you post a pic of the steering hookup?mine has that stupid push pull cable type which im going to have to change over to the single style.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

I tune my late 50's OMC Big Twins on the boat before I hit the lake each year, with the boat trailered on my concrete driveway. I put a 32-gallon plastic trash can, with drain hole and plug at the bottom, on my mechanics creeper so I can roll it around. Put it under the motor leg empty, fill to the right level with the garden hose and add some dishwashing liquid detergent. Of course you can't throw it in gear and romp on the throttle...well, you can but you'd better be wearing rubber pants and galoshes...keep it in N, make your adjustments, and you're ready to go to the lake/pond/ocean and make the final adjustments there. When you're done, raise the LU and roll the can out and put it away for next time. Motor leg will be nice and clean, no exhaust gunk to wipe off.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I tune my late 50's OMC Big Twins on the boat before I hit the lake each year, with the boat trailered on my concrete driveway. I put a 32-gallon plastic trash can, with drain hole and plug at the bottom, on my mechanics creeper so I can roll it around. Put it under the motor leg empty, fill to the right level with the garden hose and add some dishwashing liquid detergent. Of course you can't throw it in gear and romp on the throttle...well, you can but you'd better be wearing rubber pants and galoshes...keep it in N, make your adjustments, and you're ready to go to the lake/pond/ocean and make the final adjustments there. When you're done, raise the LU and roll the can out and put it away for next time. Motor leg will be nice and clean, no exhaust gunk to wipe off.
heck for a moment there TM i thought you were inventing a washing machine for us rednecks,lol!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If I remember correctly, on my '59 Fat fifty, there was a caution about removing the main nozzles on the carb to clean it. You needed a special tool to properly center it when you reinstall it. You might see if your motor has the same caution. The main nozzles was the one that was centered in the carb throats.

I obviously never removed it, but it was easy to clean in place, with some gumout jet spray.

blk98gt

Seaman

thanks for the offer, i have the manual already.as for the other poster your sin and model should be on the motor by the mounting gimble somewheres.there should be a tag.how do you have yours hooked up to the steering?blk98gt can you post a pic of the steering hookup?mine has that stupid push pull cable type which im going to have to change over to the single style.
Can't think of it right now (the steering) but I will post the pic in 3-5 days when I go move the boat so stay tunned. (Ha wish my motor was tunned)

Status
Not open for further replies.