• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Lower unit interchange chart

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lower unit interchange chart

Originally posted by Faztbullet View Post
    I have seen quite a number of posts asking for this so here goes:
    .....(This chart for direct bolt on with no part changes)............

Horsepower--------------------------------------Years that interchange

40/48/50/55/60..... (small diameter housing)..................1976-1988
    40/48/50................................................ .................1989-1992
    40/48/50................................................ .................1993-2005
    70/75............................(20 inch shaft)......................1978-late 1981
    60/65/70/75................................................ .............1982-1988
    50/60/70................................................ ..................1989-2001
    85-140.............(crossflow 13 spline prop shaft).............1978-1991
    88-140.............(crossflow 13 spline prop shaft)..............1992-1998
    120-140 Looper V-4... (15 spline prop shaft)...................1985-1991
    75-115 60 degree........(bat wing unit 13 spline)...............1995-2006
    150-235 & 2.6.................(crossflow V-6)......................1979-1991
    185-225.........................(Looper V-6).........................1986-1991
    185-225....................(Looper V-6 & Ficht)....................1991-2005
    150-250.......................( Magnum Series).....................2002-2007
    150-250........................(Lighting Series)......................1997-2001

I will add more as I get information !!!
    I am currently looking for a lower unit to fit a 1982 60hp 14spline 20" shaft. After looking at your chart it looks like i have several year options. my question is how do i know if its a small diamiter housing or not?

Comment

I have small metal shavings in my lower unit oil. its not creamy though. I guess I am looking for a lower unit aswell (tear) But I am not looking to pay out the ***. I build import car motors all day But when it comes to an outboard I can make out what I am looking at but it is all diffrent.

I have a 1983 or 82 johnson 140 v4 seahorse. The lower case gears must have screwed up. I cannot get the lower unit drain plug out. So I put some vaccum line on my gear oil and shoved it down in the lower part of the gear case and was letting it over flow out (not correct but kinda works) and I seen metal shaveings and what not.

So I cant understand what lower unit to buy. I read something like 85hp-140hp? are interchangeable. But what is all this about drive shaft length and shifter length.

If someone could tell me the years or hp or size lowerunit i wold be veary greatful. I hope someone can help me understand all this.

Comment

Originally posted by civichatchboi View Post
        . ....... So I put some vaccum line on my gear oil and shoved it down in the lower part of the gear case and was letting it over flow out (not correct but kinda works)...............

well this part of your post has me totally baffled.....

not that it is important, but you might want to re phrase that..

any way this line on the chart is what you need to remember...

85-140.............(crossflow 13 spline prop shaft).............1978-1991

so that seems like:

85 hp
        88 hp
        90 hp
        100 hp
        110 hp
        112 hp
        115hp
        120hp
        130hp
        140 hp

if it is one of those CROSSFLOW hps and it has 13 splines on the prop shaft and it is in between 1978 and 1991

you should be ok

good luck

bob

Comment

Thanks bob.

I slowly weved it down into the lower case.

Ok thank you for helping me. I know this site probley has the same quistions over and over like most sites. At least this one they dont bash you as hard.

hey is this true as well if you KNOW your motor is all OMC-OEM.

"IF the motor has two 2-barrel carbs made of aluminum positioned one above the other, it is a cross-flow from the late 70's.
          If there are 4 individual plastic carbs, you have a "looper" from the mid 80's on up"

I have been digging trying to find this out. Is this true? I pulled a plug and looked at the piston just to be sure and what you say is accrate. And I do have 4 carbs. So is that guy right to? seems alot easyer to pop the cover off the motor and look at the carbs then pulling a spark plug.

Let me know if you think that is right aswell.

thanks iboats

Comment

If it has two 2 barrel carbs on a V4, it's a crossflow from the 1960's through the 1990's.

There were no 140 crossflows after 1984; that's when the V4 loopers come in.

The early V4 Loopers had 15 spline propshafts on the extra long gearcases but had 13 spline propshafts on the others. That's clearly shown in the parts catalogs which have different diagrams and parts lists for the different drives.

Comment

Made a pdf of the table if anyone wants to download it.

Comment

Hey could anyone tell me where the motor ID is? its a johnson 140v seahorse. I am looking for a lower end rebuild kit for my motor. I have found a kit with a prop shaft,forward, reverse gear, and carrier bearing. I want to know what a standard rebuild normaly calls for. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be nice. I cant find a kit. only a lot of pice's.

The cheapest I could find a lower unit for was $200 just tested not rebuilt.
                I was looking for a kit in that price range.

I guess it was my falt for moveing the shifter foward and back. Can anyone guess what i messed up? it's stuck in nutral. I tryed moveing it with it on, didnt help, Cables are good. Let me know if you know where good rebuild kits are sold. I cant beleave these guys rebuild these old *** lowerends and sale them for as much or more then I could get a motor for back then. And maybe some smaller motors these days.

NOOB in need of ed-education

update: i found this dimond in the ruff. I am pretty sure this is the right lower unit. Can someone tell me if this will work? http://lakeland.craigslist.org/boa/1720342925.html
                Last edited by civichatchboi; May 2nd, 2010, 02:47 PM. Reason: quistion

Comment

I am the owner of 1987 140 v4 Looper Models E140TLCUA & E140TXCUA both LU are 13 spline NOT 15 splines. Of course on the first engine the previous owner installed a 15 spline v6 LU and I went through hell until I corrected it.
                  Wellcraft V20 Steplift
                  Evinrude 140 v4 20"
                  Evinrude 140 v4 25"

Comment

you know this chart really just describes the housing...and not the splines... BUT on this listing( which would seemingly be for a 140 hp from the mid 80's)...there is a descrepency....

http://www.sterndrive.info/outboardm..._gearcase.html

DIRECTLY under the drawing is written V4 60 o degree small gearcase

and then under that in neater writing is says V4 90 degree small gearcase!!!

WHICH IS IT?? HA HA

BOB

Comment

Originally posted by bob johnson View Post
                      you know this chart really just describes the housing...and not the splines... BUT on this listing( which would seemingly be for a 140 hp from the mid 80's)...there is a descrepency....

http://www.sterndrive.info/outboardm..._gearcase.html

DIRECTLY under the drawing is written V4 60 o degree small gearcase

and then under that in neater writing is says V4 90 degree small gearcase!!!

WHICH IS IT?? HA HA

BOB
                      There are no 60ļ V4 J/E outboard engines in the 1980s.

Comment

Does this chart also work in reverse? ie: are the powerheads for these interchangeable??

I have an '86 60 hp Evinrude that the powerhead threw a rod, and I am wanting to know what powerheads will fit? (even if I have to do modifications)

Comment

I don't see anything for a 93 Johnson 150 fast strike, or maybe I'm just reading it incorrectly.

In need of new lu asap...can anyone tell me what lower units will fit this motor. It's a 20" shaft, 15 spline on the prop, 20 spline on the drive. I believe the gears are 1.86 (24:16). Will any of the v4 cases fit, or just the v6? If so what hp and years are compatible?

Comment

Originally posted by ab1 View Post
                            I don't see anything for a 93 Johnson 150 fast strike, or maybe I'm just reading it incorrectly.

In need of new lu asap...can anyone tell me what lower units will fit this motor. It's a 20" shaft, 15 spline on the prop, 20 spline on the drive. I believe the gears are 1.86 (24:16). Will any of the v4 cases fit, or just the v6? If so what hp and years are compatible?
                            http://www.sterndrive.info/outboardm...6_drawing.html

I know it isnt an interchange chart, but it is something...

good luck

bob

Comment

I have a 1975 135 hp V4. So will the later lower units shown in the chart for cross flow V4's fit this motor?

Comment

http://www.**********/parts/detail/brp/B-0435739.html

this is telling me that the fast strike- and intruder 150 and 175s in 93-95 are the only ones similar,

but they also list a lower unit for your motor that fits all V6s in the 93-95 range...

they dont explain the differences, but they both are on your motors parts list

bob

Comment

Working...
                                X