Evinrude 4.5, tell tale?? Does it have one?

parrisw

Ensign
Just picked up a Evinrude 4.5hp kicker, its been sitting a long time, I started it up and it ran fine, but couldn't see any tell tale anywhere? How do I know if its pumping water? I only ran it for a few minutes in a tank, and the cylinder head got pretty hot, could only hold my hand on it for a second or two. I'm going to put and impeller in it just cause, but would like to see a tell take.

Model # E5RHCNR
Serial # C7156308

Thanks for any help!!

snake eater

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Evinrude 4.5, tell tale?? Does it have one?

I have a 1974 4 hp evinrude with a new water pump i can hold my hand on it for about 5 seconds. so i would say yours is a little hot , but look at the water pump to be sure. those motors don't have a pee hole the water comes out the exhaust.

parrisw

Ensign

I have a 1974 4 hp evinrude with a new water pump i can hold my hand on it for about 5 seconds. so i would say yours is within range, but look at the water pump to be sure. those motors don't have a pee hole the water comes out the exhaust.

Ok, thanks, I think its a little hot for my liking only from idling for a couple minutes. I'd burn my hand for sure if I held it on for 5 seconds. There was only very little water dripping out the exhaust at the top of the leg.

Rick.

Captain

A new impeller is a good decision when you don't know when it was last change. All too often the reason for not getting good flow is that the water in the barrel isn't high enough. Make certain it is well up the leg. You should see a good amount of water coming out the 6 (or 8) holes at the top of the back of the leg. That's your tell tale. I know the 4HP from the early 70's don't have a thermostat so typically they run pretty cool. Look at this link to see your motor parts list. Best of luck. Rick.

http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.aspx?s1=8fc8edc15ef79389bf8adb1cc3b8324a

parrisw

Ensign

A new impeller is a good decision when you don't know when it was last change. All too often the reason for not getting good flow is that the water in the barrel isn't high enough. Make certain it is well up the leg. You should see a good amount of water coming out the 6 (or 8) holes at the top of the back of the leg. That's your tell tale. I know the 4HP from the early 70's don't have a thermostat so typically they run pretty cool. Look at this link to see your motor parts list. Best of luck. Rick.

http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.aspx?s1=8fc8edc15ef79389bf8adb1cc3b8324a

Thanks allot, I'll check that link out. Its a 1982 model year.

parrisw

Ensign

Ok, got it all working on the weekend. Put in a whole new pump kit, housing and everything. And yes it does have a tell tale LOL LOL, its right at the top of the leg at the very back center of the motor. Pee's out good now.

Rick.

Captain

Glad to hear your up and running and sorry for the misinformation on my part. I did look at the parts break down and didn't see it. Rick.

parrisw

Ensign

Glad to hear your up and running and sorry for the misinformation on my part. I did look at the parts break down and didn't see it. Rick.

Not a problem at all man. I couldn't even tell, until I got the pump fixed, guess it didn't pump at all before, cause nothing came out of it.