15 HP 4 stroke 1997 evinrude weak tell tale stream

usteel

Cadet
Hi all...I am posting this new thread because I guess I highjacked another with a similar problem to mine. I apologize to all for that improper use of forum. Live and learn EH?
My 1997 15 HP 4 stroke evinrude has a carburetor with an accelerator pump that has a casting on the bottom with two nipples so the tell tale can connect to each side. Water goes in one side and out the other. I have been having problems with water stream weakening at idle and intend to tear the engine down this winter and clean it all out. I want to know if this accelerator pump (part number 27 in attachment is where tell tale hoses attach) can cause a weak stream for any reason. Why is water running through there in the first place?
:confused:

Attachments

• convert.jpg
    convert.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 0

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 15 HP 4 stroke 1997 evinrude weak tell tale stream

Yup in the wrong forum! I will move it for you ;)

usteel

Cadet

OK....but it would help if I knew why. This is a repair question regarding weak water stream I'm trying to track down. Where did you move it so I know in future? Thx

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer

What's the model number of your motor? I've looked at a lot of carburetor diagrams for various models of 1997 4-stroke 15hp Evinrude motors and can't find one that matches your diagram.

Also, for whatever it's worth ... I've never heard of a carb where the "tell tale" hose is attached!

bktheking

Vice Admiral

All I can figure it the pressure of the telltale controls that accelerator pump, the pump helps eliminate poor throttle response. Bankerjohn I had this conversation with USTEEL on the highjacked post, the diagram for his carb is not correct on the shop2 site and that he was advised from BRP directly that the one he provided is correct. I guess at this point, USTEEL, you could take the telltale tubes off, inspect both the pump and tubes to see if they are free and clear of debris.

I'd tend to agree with Bankerjohn, telltale source usually goes from the block off of a 90 elbow and out the back of the lower cowl. I think what you are seeing is another tube coming off of your motor, more than likely a vacuum tube that controls that accelerator pump (using the vacuum of the motor) rather than water.

usteel

Cadet

Thanks BKtheking and Bankerjohn for the input. I can assure you without doubt that the tell tale does connect to the Accelerator (ACC) pump cover. It is part 27 in the schematic. The water comes from the rear of the lower power head area from a plastic nipple threaded into the engine, goes through the hose to the ACC pump nipple and goes out the other side through the peeing hose that then goes out through the mid section cover on starboard side. This is the correct carb for this engine but it does not show up on any schematic on any parts supplier on the net. I have looked on at least 5 different sites and pulled up my model E15FREUA 1997 4 stroke rope start and none show this carb with this accelerator pump in their schematic, but BRP says it may not show, but the part number for this model is the one with the accelerator pump. carb assembly BRP-5000283. It was also used on some 4 stroke 1998 15 hp and 8HP models as well. I cleaned out the hoses and reconnected them to the ACC pump. No change in peeing strength. Thanks again

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Then you may have a blockage somewhere else. The telltale doesn't have a whole pile of pressure to begin with, if it's dribbling that's one thing, some amount of stream is normal, they don't have 50 psi of water coming from the stream.

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer

Just out of curiosity, where did you get the diagram of your carburetor? I looked all over and couldn't find a diagram ... just a price of 556 bucks!

usteel

Cadet

Bankerjohn
I can't tell you exactly, but I started opening schematics for 1998 8HP 4 stroke and 1998 15 HP 4 stroke until I found it. Very odd that the 1997 schematics do not show this anywhere. I'm now looking for blockage where grommet for water tube is between engine block and mid section.
Thx