1985 Johnson 140 Looper Throttle/carb/stator/timer base question

DocShock

Cadet
Hi all, first time poster. Some really great info... have a question up for grabs!:

Johnson 1985 140 (has V6 15 spline gearcase) J140TXCO

I have been getting this 1985 140 back running again for my 19 Mako. I just picked up the motor from a freshwater houseboat, not many hours on it - less than 100 or so. 125-130 psi compression on all 4 cylinders. Replaced thermostats and cleaned, LU oil and water pump. Replaced all fuel lines, filters, fill hose, vent line, primer bulb (with OMC), and water seperator.
Put some seafoam in the tank to clean up the carbs a little (I know it hasn't ran in a while). Sprayed some carb cleaner in all the openings I can reach by pulling the intake cover. Ran great on the trailer with muffs on, revved good.
Put it in the water, and motor idled slightly high, was hard shifting due to this, I could not get to WOT,

My throttle not set right? The timing arm (under the flywheel) is "sticky", not allowing motor to return all the way down to idle. What do you do about this? I have sprayed WD40 in there and worked it like crazy, but still "sticky". When I pull the shifter back to neutral, even after adjusting the shifter cable, the timing arm or stator or whatever it is called sticks, I have to pull cowling to push it back all the way.

I have a complete set of 4 other carbs from a 1987 V4 looper that were just rebuilt not long ago. Shoud I swap these carbs for the ones on the motor? Any adjustments that will need to be done if I swap the carbs?

Or should I have the carbs on there rebuilt (how much should I expect to spent do have carbs rebuilt?)I am trying to conserve as much $ on this motor as possible, being it is so dang old...

I do have the OMC shop manual for this motor, but found it to be difficult for my knowledge level to understand.

Any help much appreciated.

Last edited:

DocShock

Cadet
Re: 1985 Johnson 140 Looper Throttle/stator/carb/timer base question

I did get a tip from a local guy here to pull the flywheel and clean the stator and around the timer base, because the insulation melts off and causes it to stick some...think I can handle that.
Also if the 87 carbs i have from the parts 140 are the same as the 85's powerhead, I am just going to swap them and give it a try.

But still, if anyone here could chime in, I'd appreciate it!;)

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I did get a tip from a local guy here to pull the flywheel and clean the stator and around the timer base, because the insulation melts off and causes it to stick some...think I can handle that.
Also if the 87 carbs i have from the parts 140 are the same as the 85's powerhead, I am just going to swap them and give it a try.

But still, if anyone here could chime in, I'd appreciate it!;)

I think you need to pull the flywheel to see what is happening under there.
If the motor is as low hours as you say then you have a great motor. It's not old, it's in it's prime !!!!
I have the same motor only mine has the 13 spline gearcase on it now.

DocShock

Cadet
Re: 1985 Johnson 140 Looper Throttle/carb/stator/timer base question

Thanks for the reply, fellas. I am going to go rent a harmonic balance puller and give it a whirl...it'll be my first time pulling one, but I think I can handle;)

And, yes they are absolutely different for the carbs...I already pulled the 87's carbs and the gasket goes horizontal, where as it appearst the 85's gasket goes vertical, along with other differences as it appears....the 87 part # is 0397571 and the 87 is 0393571. Thanks for the link, t...
Doc

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the reply, fellas. I am going to go rent a harmonic balance puller and give it a whirl...it'll be my first time pulling one, but I think I can handle;)

And, yes they are absolutely different for the carbs...I already pulled the 87's carbs and the gasket goes horizontal, where as it appearst the 85's gasket goes vertical, along with other differences as it appears....the 87 part # is 0397571 and the 87 is 0393571. Thanks for the link, t...
Doc

You can buy a puller for a little more than renting one most likely. Then you have it for ever.

DocShock

Cadet

Could not believe the parts store wanted 15 bucks to rent the dadgum thing! I am going to buy one!
What, if anything to lube the stator and timer base with when I pull the flywheel and clean the melted insulation off?
Thanks

DocShock

Cadet

Man! That is big nut on the flywheel! Bigges I hav is 1 1/4" and that's not enough...
Also after looking at the manual, there seems to be alot of stuff under that flywheel...stator, magneto etc etc...
Anyone know what or where the melted insulation came from that is causing my timer base to "stick" when throttling up/down?
Thanks

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Post photos of what you find under there. You will get a much better and more accurate response that way.
Guess you are going to buy a socket as well now !!!! at least you will have that always as well.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The melted stuff most likely came from the stator. There really isn't a lot under the flywheel - just the timer base and the stator. No big deal really.

DocShock

Cadet

Well that makes me feel a little better... I haven't gotten the flywheel off yet (gotta ge tthe socket) it was just when I read in the OMC manual it looked more involved than what I had prepared myself for. I will post pics when I get the FW off.

DocShock

Cadet

Anyone have any idea as to the size of that nut? 1 1/4" is too small by a good bit.
And with the insulation melting off of the stator, will more need to be applied, like liquid electrical tape?
Thanks

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Anyone have any idea as to the size of that nut? 1 1/4" is too small by a good bit.
And with the insulation melting off of the stator, will more need to be applied, like liquid electrical tape?
Thanks

If it's melted I would most likely replace it.
Let's see the photos first though.

jemesiz

Cadet

If it's melted I would most likely replace it.
Let's see the photos first though.

I know this is a bit late but did you fix it? I have a very similar problem.

Also, what is the socket size needed to remove the fly wheel?

powrguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know this is a bit late but did you fix it? I have a very similar problem.

Also, what is the socket size needed to remove the fly wheel?

The size is 1 5/16", and is a bit hard to find.