1971 Evinrude 125 hp timing advance plate sticks when warm

Ferd

Recruit
The timing advance plate works very smooth when the engine is cool. When it warms up to operating temperature the base gets hard to move and the engine performs poorly, since it lags behinde the thottle setting. I have pulled it out and cleaned, regreased and reassembled, but no difference. I have checked the engine temperature with an infrared thermometer and all seem correct, no greater than 160, Any ideas from the brain trust? Thanks

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 1971 Evinrude 125 hp timing advance plate sticks when warm

Check the large link arm on the side of the engine. See if that is hanging up. What did you lube the plate with.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Check the large link arm on the side of the engine. See if that is hanging up. What did you lube the plate with. That large arm is in two piece's with a spring control at the joint.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

I use a white teflon grease on my timer bases. (Merc 2-4-C) It is a slippery, light lubricant which is not so sensitive to cold weather temps. It is unusual to have the problem when warmed up-usually any grease will get get more fluid when warmed slightly. Check the screw clips which hold the distributor base down to make sure they are not holding too tightly when the engine warms due to heat expansion. Your engine cyl head temps should between 140 and 155 at idle-normally.

Ferd

Recruit

I warmed it up and disconnected the throttle arm from the timing base. the arm was free as a breeze but the timing base was sticking. I used lithium grease when I serviced it. My theory now is that the clips that hold the base down have been bent and are loose allowing the base to ride up on one side and bind. I don't *think* they are too tight as suggested (but they could be). I plan to remove the flywheel and distributor/stator, and try to get it to bind by rocking it while twisting it. I will also take the clips off and examine them. It is tough to get a good look at the bottom of the plate. Some day I may buy one of those fiberoptic scopes for this kind of problem.