1965 33hp evinrude ski-twin water pump problems

bipbmwm3

Cadet
I have a 33 hp that I had trouble starting. Finally after you tips i got it started. It runs smooth now but after running it for a minute i noticed it was heating up. It appears that it is not pumping water. We had the water level full enough and we carefully reached down to where the inlet is and it felt like it was blowing are out. We just replaced the impeller and i am wondering if it is possible to install it backwards so it pushes air out instead of sucking water in?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1965 33hp evinrude ski-twin water pump problems

If the impeller is in wrong it will flip when the engine starts. How deep is the water, almost up to the exhaust port? Those motors need a lot of water to pump properly.

bipbmwm3

Cadet

We have the water high almost to the exhaust port. What els could it be?

jasper60103

Commander

We have the water high almost to the exhaust port. What els could it be?

Did you put in the impeller key? It's a tiny pin that engages the impeller to the driveshaft, so the impeller turns with the driveshaft. Also, the water tube could be clogged.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I have a 33 hp that I had trouble starting. Finally after you tips i got it started. It runs smooth now but after running it for a minute i noticed it was heating up. It appears that it is not pumping water. We had the water level full enough and we carefully reached down to where the inlet is and it felt like it was blowing are out. We just replaced the impeller and i am wondering if it is possible to install it backwards so it pushes air out instead of sucking water in?

I hope others aren't tempted to put their hand in there unless the prop is removed.

Anyway, the cooling system exits into the exhaust. So, if there is no water in the cooling system the exhaust blows back through it. That is what you are feeling.

So, why isn't the pump working? Pure and simple, the parts are not serviceable, or they are installed wrong, or there is no water available to the pump, or the pump is not connected to the powerhead (water tube). Bottom line is you gotta go back in there and take another look.

A worn water pump housing admits air through the drive shaft hole, killing the pumping action.

A leak between the pump and gearcase admits air, same result.

If the bleed hole in the pump housing outlet is clogged it won't pump properly.

If you missed the water tube when installing the lower unit---needs no explanation.

Or any other related goof-ups.

rosgood14

Seaman

i have the exact motor and i am having the exactly the same problem. i installed the key correctly so i know the impellar is spinning. the housing does not appear to be worn anywhere. the tube is connected properly. so saying all that what else could it be and if the tube is clogged how would you unclog it.