Johnson Colt Rebuild?

dthrckt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've been skimming over posts that mention the Johnson Colt. I have a 1986 JCOCDR and absolutely love that little motor.

I ran across the following post. The user is apparently infrequently or totally inactive, so I'm wondering if someone can tell me where I could get the parts required to do this, and who might do the cylinder borings (or would I have to buy a ream)?

thanks!

QUOTE:
Re: Johnson Colt 2 hp Outboard
I just rebuilt one of these little engines this past weekend. It was very easy and took only about 3 hours from start to finish to completly dissasemble, bore the cylinder, install new piston, rings, bearings & gaskets. Cost about $100 including the cylinder overbore. I bored it over .030". So I figure I was getting 1.25 HP out of the engine before, I'm probably now getting all of 1.30 hp. It fired right up and runs like a top. I'd suggest putting a new top end in yours. Let me know if you have questions.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Johnson Colt Rebuild?

Quick check of the parts breakdown shows parts still available from Johnson. Go to their website and look up your engine to see parts breakdown.

I would check the cylinder to see if it really needs to be bored, might just need to hone it and install new rings.

dthrckt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks, now why didn't i think of that - I figured you could get original replacements but I just checked and saw the .30 oversize piston, too. Still not sure how you ream for it to fit though.

I don't need to do either yet, but the previous owner overheated it more than once. This winter I'll do at least the gaskets. Then I'll get a good assessment of the condition.

dregsfan

Seaman Apprentice

You can order many OMC parts through any NAPA store. Most prices will be lower than OMC.

I have a 1980 2HP. I need to rebuild the carb over the winter.

dthrckt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can order many OMC parts through any NAPA store. Most prices will be lower than OMC.

I have a 1980 2HP. I need to rebuild the carb over the winter.

thanks for the tip. i've got several old OMCs, including the 86 Colt (1.2hp) and a 77 2hp. Did both those carbs this summer. You probably already know, but they're really easy to work on.